Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard all of the rave reviews from people about these reels. I was in Bass Pro Shop last week checking out bait runner reels and I had the guy take a VS out of the case. There was much resistance when turning the handle. At $640, I would think the handle would turn effortlessly. I turn the handle on my Shimano Stradic and it is smooth and there does not seem to be very much resistance.

Why is the VS reel so resistant to turning?

Ok - VS fans and supporters - Blast away. ;)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I may be surprised but I don't think their are many VS user's on this board. And the reason is the reel was built to be as near waterproof as possible. The case is sealed and has oil in it(why it is harder to turn). People who use them seem to dunk their stuff a bit saving themselves cleaning time. The Stradic does not like getting dunked where the VS does not complain as much.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adam

I couldn't agree with you more. I was just checking the reel out to see what the hefty tab was about. I am sure it is worth $640 to some people though. I dont do a whole lot of dunkin'.

So the tight seals and waterproofing makes it stiffer to turn?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh to be young, single and have more money than I knew what to do with again! Old Bay have you wet the string on your new EB65 yet? And you are already looking for something else. My kind of guy! Don't ever change. :D

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Unless you are a die hard...

Jetty of surf fisherman casting lures to stripers and blues - you will probably not have a need for a total waterproof fishing reel. Guys that fish IRI North jetty, Montauk, etc. must have a reel that can take constant spashing of saltwater spray or waves, and the VS reel (VS 150) is their reel of choice. No other spinner (except the Mitchell Nautil - $150) can live up to the demands they place on a jetty/surf spinning reel.

The Nautil probably will only last two years under hard jetty use and eventually fail...

·
Registered
467 Posts
$1500 Reel

I went to their website - http://www.vanstaal.com/ They have some great looking reels that are supposed damn near indestructible. Check out the specs on some of these reels. I was amazed at how they are put together. Now, If i had the money that would be a different story. To pricey for me though.........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
472 Posts
There are many people in the world, to whom image is everything.

They don't wear pants, they wear "Dockers."

Their shoes have to have the "flavor of the month" athlete's name on them.

These are insecure people, who lack confidence in their own identity.

The advertising industry scrambles to exploit that insecurity.

The clothes you wear, the car you drive, all your possessions, make a definitive statement about Who You Are.

HORSE DROPPINGS . . . .

It's evident from the many, equipment related, posts on this board, that we all seek the approval of our peers.

In moderation, this is a good thing.

But $650 for a spinning reel, is just silly.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have to disagree with smoothbore54. personally i would not buy van staal reel, because it is expensive and it's strength is not what i'm looking for. but i like good fishing equipment. it's a passion. some people like sports cars, big house, nice stereo, i like good fishing equipment. most people would not raise a eyebrow when someone buys $20,000 car. for myself, with that money, i would spend $5000 on my fishing equipment and probably spend $15,000 on the car. i don't think there is anything wrong with that. my breakaway and daiwa reel set up is around $700, and many people own more expensive fishing gears. i also drive 92 toyota camry. i don't have a passion for automobile, so i don't spend the money. but owning a couple of $300+ rod and reel, means i am insecure??? i don't think so:cool:

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I would suggest smoothebore54 should take a trip to Montauk Point and watch the people who are using VS's. You will see some the fit smoothbore54's profile. And you will see some who are using a VS's because it is one of the few reel's that may live through what they do to it. Now I would buy one if I lived in a place that would benifit from the use of a VS or a Nautil, I probably would go for the VS's since it can be repaired. But fishing high and dry(some of these guy's use a wetsuit) it would not be worth the money.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Re: I have a Hummer, I have a VS,,,,,

wizardude said:
So be it.......
Just a joke my friends, actually wouldn't want to be seen on the beach with a VS. Yes I hear good things about them, but when I see them, figure the guy is hiking back to his Beamer, just not my style. The Hummer, if I had the bucks, a different story :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I myself may ask for opinions on equipment by no means to get anyones approval .I want to draw on other peoples experiences bad or good as to avoid the pitfalls of spending hard earned $$$$
on junk. As for vs reels .If you got it like that "LIFE is short play hard" don't worry what people say about you and yours just have fun doing it.

FISH (Finally In Saltwater Heaven)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
deep pockets

So, does anybody have $640 I can "borrow"? just kidding. RocknWine - I used the EB65 on the potomac on Tuesday night fishing for Catfish. I liked the reel. The bait feeder feature was very handy. I caught a nice 10# cat and a smaller one. So incase I mislead anyone with my original post - I am not considering a VS reel for purchase. Never was, probably never will be (unless I hit the lottery). I was just supprised at how stiff it was and wondering why. ;) Thanks.

Followup question: How much is too much to spend on a fishing reel?? For me it is about $100. After that I start to feel a little guilty about my spending.

·
Registered
44 Posts
deep pockets

bud you should never never never show guilt over fishing gear it shows weakness now if your spending the money at one of those doller joints and you drop a couple hundred :D and dont have s#it to show but a headache and some wood:D then mabey and i say mabey hell my wife spends that a month on her hair and nails and then it all needs to be done again and again!!theres my buck two eighty on the guilt thingy !!!ZOOM

·
Registered
472 Posts
I lived on Martha's Vineyard for 2 years, and have first hand experience with the wetsuited posers of Yuppieville.

The Striper fishing at Lighthouse Point, is as good as it gets, but the serious fishermen ALL know that it's a nighttime proposition.

I've never seen one of those "Extreme Fisherpersons" on the beach after dark.

For them, it's all about being "seen" and there's nobody on the beach to impress after dark.

While the "locals" are having a blast catching Stripers, the "Range Rovers" are parked at the"Bad Dog" in Vineyard Haven, and the "Rugged Outdoorspersons" are paying $6 a bottle for Micro-Brews.

I too, enjoy using quality tackle. I'm the guy who's always preaching about Penn Reels.

You can buy a Penn 5600L Live Liner, anywhere, for $135, You can get parts, or have it repaired anywhere you go.

So tell me again how a Van Staal is worth five to ten times as much.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Smoothbore54 said:
...I've never seen one of those "Extreme Fisherpersons" on the beach after dark.

How true! Stop over at IRI some night on the incoming high tide and watch all the locals fishing their butts off in the spray and salt..and most of them use VS as their reel of choice as they require little maintenance and can fish the next night with just a quick hosedown. Yuppies are on the jetty with new equipment and without Korkers!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have Van Staals no big deal

Hey guys i have a vs 300 ,vs 200 and vs 250. I have loved Penns for many years now but the 7500 and 8500 were killing my right arm and shoulder .I have tendonitis . The reels break in after use they are the smoothest reel I have ever used. Yes smoother than shimano stellas. They hold massive line amounts and are super-light. Zero play no rod and handle slap. I do not fit into the category of yuppie, I am a blue collar guy who likes a bud and a shot of grand dad. I feel if you can afford it and you work hard, and fishing is my passion why not buy the best. Lifetime warranty can't be beat So if you have a chance why not.I still fish with my penns and diawas. But down at the beach with the wind blowing sand everywhere I choose not to lose a hard sought after fish because my reel turned into a coffee grinder in the middle of a fight. Funny story for thought, my brother went fishing with us at the beach he bought a hurricane surf combo we laughed, 29.00 out of the combo barrel at hoss's. He ended up catching the biggest fish and yes our 1,000 dollar combos caught skate just like his. It doesn't matter what type of gear you have , just as long as your fishing and enjoying yoursef.
By the way Itried to sell the vs 250 Gold several months ago for 350.00 no takers. It is still sitting in my tackle room in a box. Shoot me an e-mail if you are interested.
Nate L. (Non Yuppie)
Ps. by the way i still have my very first reel . A vintage zebco spincaster it is still my favorite at Lake waterford when I am feeling nostalgic!!!
Here is a pic of the reelshttp://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1241536&uid=728149&members=1

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
skishing

Did anyone read the article in the most recent Field and Stream about the guy who puts on a wetsuit and flippers and swims out hundreds of yards into the ocean to fish for stripers at night??? I thought it was a great article. The writer went out with him into the water one night and got freaked out quickly and came back to shore. Now I know where people need tightly waterproofed reels. Check out the article if you get a chance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts