Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's gets everyones .02cents.
I like dealing with todd at Litehouse Tackle and Anthony is the man at 17th Street Tackle.

But as for great service and 9 outta 10 times usually have what I am looking for ,my vote goes to Ocean East 2!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Well th one I goto when

I'm on that side of th water is Ocean East 2.

But my favorite tackle shop is on this side of th water at Bishops on Rt.17 in York County.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
South side 17 th st.....Im with Cdog on this side,Bishops ....good people ,good selection ........the R

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nansemond River Bait and Tackle on Rt. 17 in Suffolk isn't on the list. The lady in there always gives me plenty extra minnows for my money.

·
Registered
206 Posts
lighthouse is a good tackle shop but oceans east 2 is on the way so i go to oceans more but i think those two r the best i think.

dan lee

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well local to yall and local to me is 2 different things out of the choices you have there my vote goes to lighthouse cause thats usually the only place i go. Mainly because its right there close to seagull pier where i mostly fish. But MY favorite local (to me) tackle store is Greentop they have everything and iknow most everyone there.If you've never been there you should check it out sometime.

P

·
0 Posts
Hey guys,

I had to throw my vote to Lighthouse. Light House and another one (don't remember its name) are the only two I'm familiar with.
Can someone post the addresses and maybe the telephone numbers to these tackle shops so I can visit them?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
How do these contestants compare to Green Top, the motherload of all tackle shops?
It's just north of Richmond near Ashland.
Just curious as to whether I should continue to stop there on the way down from NoVa, or are the beach shops just as good.

P

·
0 Posts
VTsurfman,

This must be the Green Top you're talking about. That's south of Ashland, right on Rt. 1.

How do you like this place for fishing gear and how about bait? Are they carrying all the good baits we need at the ocean? How does their bait prices compare to the local tackle shops in the VA Beach area?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pauky,
Yep, that's the same Green Top.
Green Top ,as you know, has a ton of tackle, but don't really specialize in salt water gear. Their prices on reels and such are very competitive with the online dealers like tackle express.com.
I've never bought bait there, but they seem to carry more fresh water baits, so I can't comment on their prices either.
I haven't really started using the beach area shops yet, but plan to this spring. That's why I was wondering how the beach area shops compare to Green Top in selection of tackle.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think Green Top has a great variety.
but sometimes they seem a little arogant about what they know.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well Bishops is my choice for a Tackle shop(good selection and great people). On the bait front none is better than Grafton Fishing Supply. If I have to go to the Southside 17th St(good people and very helpful) would be my choise followed by Oceans East 2.
Green Top is a dangerous place for my wallet, probably the best selection selection over all, but the help is very hit or miss at best.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A little off subject but....

I’m still learning the tackle shops on the east coast. The best shop I have dealt with is in California on the Monterey bay. There is an auto repair shop that has a tackle shop in the attic. The guy that owns the garage started it to get his own gear wholesale. He does no advertising accept word of mouth and the yellow pages. The shop is small but packed. He will beat any price around and if he doesn’t have it he will order whatever you need at great price. You walk in with a kid and you can figure an extra 10-20% off.

The best part is he asks if you want the sale to show up on your credit card receipt as “auto parts” or “auto repair”. A lot of wives must wonder why it cost so much for their husband to maintain their beat-up old pick-up truck. (I hope my wife never finds a shoe store like that).

mapcaster

P

·
0 Posts
Well I just came back from that Green Top. To say the least, I was impressed. I didn't visit the hunting side because that's not my interest. The fishing supply was pretty good. They have a huge selection of poles and reels. They even sell bait for the ocean at a smaller price then what's been sold in the VA beach area. I spoke with a couple of the guys there and had one help me for a while on picking out some good flies and fly fishing gear for the up coming shad run; he or any that I spoke with seemed arrogant at all. I like that place and I'll definitely be stopping by there on my way to VA beach. It's a good place I think. I'd still like to visit these other tackle shops you guys are talking about. Speaking of which, can ya'll post address or telephone info so we can find these fishing tackle places?

P

·
0 Posts
Flyersfan said:
just my experience and my opinion...
Oh I know Flyersfan, I'm sure there was one or two guys like that that you ran into. I was fortunate to have a nice guy help me out.

It is a nice store and it's located in a good spot where I can stop by on my way down to VA beach. That's convenient for me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Pauky,
it's not going to stop me from shopping there,
that place is awesome for selection and they always have nice live bait. I live about 10-15 mins from there.
I was looking all over for Storm shad. Nobody in town had them,
being as it was late in fall. I went to Green top they had them.
Any way, it seems today that it's hard to find someone who sincerely wants to help.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts