Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not see anywhere in the rules that I can't post a freshwater report, and the VA section has been pretty slow so I thought "what the hell."
A coworker got the crazy idea a few months ago to plan a musky fishing trip. At the time, when I agreed, I had no idea how expensive musky equipment is. Whatever, it's just money.
I bought a total of five musky lures which cost over $200. When the lures arrived and I realized they were over a foot long and heavy, I bought a 8ft musky rod which can throw 2-8 oz. Then I bought leaders. Then I bought a net that looks so ridiculously big that I emailed the manufacturer to make sure there wasn't a mistake. Then I bought 80lb braid.
We did all sorts of research on where to go in the southeast, closest to our southern NC home, and decided on the lower New River in VA, near the WV line. We set the date for March because it's before turkey season and late enough to start warming up. Well, I checked the forecast today and they are calling for snow on Friday, the first day of our trip. Sweet. Better than rain, right? Oh, the snow will be switching to cold rain. Whatever. I've got a rain coat. It is supposed to be in the 20s every night too. Whatever, we have generators and heaters and alcohol.
Once we decided on the New River I started stalking property on Google earth until.I found one suitable. I used the county tax map to get contact info. I called my #1 choice and after a short conversation the property owner agreed to let us camp there for $50 a night.
So, Friday morning we are heading to VA with my 14ft boat inside my trailer and we are going to target the fish of 10,000 casts.
If I get service there I'll update this thread as we go. If not, I'll post pics on Monday. Any last minute tips are very welcomed because we have no idea what we are doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
You need to talk with my youngest son, aka ''the musky man'' here in south central Pa.. Tell him his Dad gave you his info, I introduced him to surf fishing a few years ago and he loves that too so you will have lots to talk about. He is taking his one daughters to a hospital today so maybe wait till tomorrow ( Friday) to contact him if you like.([email protected]), good luck, look forward to your surf fishing posts,...pop.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not see anywhere in the rules that I can't post a freshwater report, and the VA section has been pretty slow so I thought "what the hell."
A coworker got the crazy idea a few months ago to plan a musky fishing trip. At the time, when I agreed, I had no idea how expensive musky equipment is. Whatever, it's just money.
I bought a total of five musky lures which cost over $200. When the lures arrived and I realized they were over a foot long and heavy, I bought a 8ft musky rod which can throw 2-8 oz. Then I bought leaders. Then I bought a net that looks so ridiculously big that I emailed the manufacturer to make sure there wasn't a mistake. Then I bought 80lb braid.
We did all sorts of research on where to go in the southeast, closest to our southern NC home, and decided on the lower New River in VA, near the WV line. We set the date for March because it's before turkey season and late enough to start warming up. Well, I checked the forecast today and they are calling for snow on Friday, the first day of our trip. Sweet. Better than rain, right? Oh, the snow will be switching to cold rain. Whatever. I've got a rain coat. It is supposed to be in the 20s every night
You need to talk with my youngest son, aka ''the musky man'' here in south central Pa.. Tell him his Dad gave you his info, I introduced him to surf fishing a few years ago and he loves that too so you will have lots to talk about. He is taking his one daughters to a hospital today so maybe wait till tomorrow ( Friday) to contact him if you like.([email protected]), good luck, look forward to your surf fishing posts,...pop.
Thanks, I'll try to get a message to him tomorrow morning before we get to the river.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Actually just talked with Kyle my son, told him you may be contacting him, he will be working (driving his big truck tomorrow) always enjoys talking fishing while driving, 814-203-5395 if you like.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I am not Muskie Man or even Muskie anything.

I watched this video once where it was late winter in Wisconsin.

The two fellas fishing for Muskies put a couple cameras underwater and commenced a multi mile long drift down this Wisconsin river, the name of which I cannot remember.

The two fellas had large suckers rigged live to wire Muskie leader rigs, they used the kind that has a hook with a pronounced square bend for hooking the bait through both lips.

On the video.

It seemed like every couple of minutes a Muskie of all different sizes but mostly small ones, some of the Muskies were not much bigger than the two-three pound Suckers would swim up and latch on to the Suckers. Almost all of them were missing the big hook, they would hang on for a while and then drop off and then another Muskie would grab the Sucker.

Without the cameras rolling the two fellas said they would never have known how many Muskies had attacked the baits, because the Muskies would latch on and swim in the current with the Sucker in their mouth.

Live Bait, the Wisconsin Muskie fellas said was the ticket, get a bucket of live Suckers and put them in a live well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is very interesting. I have not come accross any videos of people using live bait for them. However, all the VA and WV river musky fisherman recommended baits that resembled suckers. The section of river we will be on is deep and wide compared to most of the river in VA. I am taking some shad for cut bait and plan to try some flathead fishing from the bank after dark.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes as Garboman posted, live bait works, my son will sometimes come here to the farm creek and catch suckers or fall fish and head to the river. Have a safe trip, good luck,...pop.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are setting up camp. It's a great spot. I just put a lure on my new musky rod and realized I made a huge mistake. These lures are way too heavy for my rod, rated 2-8oz. My buddies rod is much better and his is rated 8-16oz.

Oh well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts