Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from what I'm reading on the web, In Virginia you are exempt from having a fishing license if you are 65 or older. Is this for out of state persons too? Or only residents of Va ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is what I was looking at
Individuals fishing without license under these exemptions are required to obtain a no-cost FIP registration prior to fishing.

65 years of age or older: No license is required, but these older anglers are required to obtain a no-cost FIP registration prior to fishing. Effective 7/1/13 there is a $5 optional lifetime saltwater fishing license for VA resident anglers 65 or older, if a person has purchased this optional license they do not need to register in FIP.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found out a positive answer from a friend.
He tried to buy a license at Wally World and they punched his info in the computer and it wouldn't take. The salesperson said they couldn't sell him a license because he was 65 .
So it looks like I'm good to go in Virginia.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I bought a Lifetime Saltwater Fishing License for Virginia when I was 55. I am now 66. I believe that I paid something in the neighborhood of $100 - $150 for it. Because there is a reciprocity license protocol with Maryland, when fishing Sandy Point some 9 years ago, I gave the Md Park Ranger my VA Lifetime License. It was the first time that he'd seen one... but accepted it nonetheless. It has been too long... but it is possible that Delaware also supports reciprocity with VA... I just don't remember. I know that NC did NOT.

JimInVA

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep , I saw where Maryland was reciprocity and I could get one that covers me there for and additional $9 I believe

·
Registered
429 Posts
Md and VA have reciprocity. Delaware and VA do not. NC and VA do not. If you are over 65 in VA, buy the $5.00 lifetime license and that will get you reciprocity with MD and you will not have to register for the FIP every year in VA

·
Registered
429 Posts
copied from VMRC website re: over 65
"65 years of age or older: No license is required, but these older anglers are required to obtain a no-cost FIP registration prior to fishing. Effective 7/1/13 there is a $5 optional lifetime saltwater fishing license for VA resident anglers 65 or older, if a person has purchased this optional license they do not need to register in FIP."

So, if you are a VA resident and dont want to buy the $5.00 license, you still need to register annually in the Fishing Information Program (fip). Non VA residents 65 and older still need to purchase a license to be legal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also copied from VMRC .
Exceptions
All persons, except those listed below, must purchase the proper licenses before fishing.
  • Persons 65 years of age or older do not need a saltwater license but must comply with the Virginia Fisherman Identification Program (FIP) requirements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts