Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Thanks Bub,
It's my opinion that if that's private property, and technically it is, they (the property owners) should be responsible for hiring security guards, (not VBPD), and...pick up the trash...and replenish the sand on THEIR dime, not ours. I live down here and there's a big sign right where Chick's Beach ends and Bayville beach begins that says something like "Private Beach, No Trespassing!". Of course, no one pays any attention to it and it's not enforced. :D

I can only picture a gaggle of crotchety curmudgeons sitting around over prune juice and coffee that decided to erect that waste of money sign.

Skunk

·
Registered
42 Posts
VA Beach Access

Chicks's Beach Access ??

Where can you park your car without in that area walking a 1/2 mile with all your gear ???

What about public parking and an acess strip to have access to Sandbridge Beaches or the 15 miles of beach to the NC Line ?? I would gladly pay $ 5.00 per day to park for that privilage.

The Nature Conservency locks everyone out from having ANY access to the beach for Surf Fishing except a few hundred feet at the Back Bay Wildlife Refuge entrance parking lot. Even if you to biked the 15 miles of gravel road there are no beach trail from the dirt road over the dunes to the beach.

The Nature Conservancy's fat cat financial supporters have enough money to BUY the LAND to restrict public access to the water and BUY homes on the beach and lock every one else out unless they get wings and fly from the nearest shopping mall parking lot over the " Private Propery " signs to the beach. Except for Long island and Conneticut and we all know who owned those beach access rights, Virginia is one of the most restictive beach access states in the country for the general public.

Im retired and payed my takes for 40 years + !!!! It's time we took this country back !!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
LK salty, you can cross over down at Barbor Hill, in the state park, and further down. And you can fish 24 hours a day.
Croatan p.o.'s me off. They've got you with the parking set up there.
Dear dirtyhandslopez

I am aware of the False Cape State Park parking lot and have gone there numerous times but that's as far as you can go by car. Barbor Hill is a 1/2+ mile long hike from that lot. Why is there no car access further on down on False Cape down to the NC line or at least a few miles of the area ?

My point is that Virginia brags about their beaches and has miles and miles of ocean and bay water frontage but very little of it accessable to the general public unless you own a boat.

How about giving some consideration to the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
LKSalty, Back Bay is run by the Feds while False Cape is run by the state of Virginia. The Nature Conservancy has nothing to do with it.

Not sure why you hate them so much--when they buy a place, they *stop* it from being paved over and made private by landowners and leave it open to recreational use.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Damn right. If they want public dollars to replenish their beach, then they can make the beach public.

I am one of the owners on the beach. The city came to us and asked if they could run pipe lines across our land to stretch down the beach and dump sand. This would save them tons of money by not having to truck the spoils when they dredge Lynnhavenn Inlet. We did not go to the city and ask for sand.

We had absolutely no problem with it until we heard what strings were attached. One ,they wanted to make the beach public because they were now taking care of the beach(Again, we did not ask for the sand.)Two, they want to raise our taxes even more because they replenished it. We will not see them again probably for another 15 to 20 years.

We bought here 20 years ago.The place was advertised as having a private beach. That was not such a big deal to me put the price was higher because of it. We pay higher taxes because of our location and the beach being private. If they take the beach public the value goes down. The owners are looking for the fair value of the beach property.

As far as the private beach is concerned we have NEVER asked anyone to leave our beach if they decided they wanted to put their chairs out there, fish, pull their boats up and relax on the beach, etc; We have signs saying private beach but we don't enforce it. I don't give a crap if people want to come out and enjoy themselves. The only reason we leave the signs up is case we get a bunch of drunken nuts out there raising hell while families are trying to have a nice time.

It has not happened yet but you never know.

As far as the trash is concerned there is a barrel near our walkway to the beach that the city empties once a week or so during the summer. 95 % of the trash(plastic bags full of dog chit from people walking their dogs) in it is from people walking along the beach who do not live here. If the city wants to take the barrel away so be it. The next barrel is about a 1/4 mile away so you know what that means. People will just dump their crap on the beach.

Police patrols ? I have not seen a police patrol on our beach in at least 10 to 12 years. Back in the 90's they would ride 4 wheelers by once in a while during the week in the summer.

We followed the law when we bought and we will follow the law now. We only ask for fair value. Not some over inflated price. I don't think anyone in their right mind would like it if the city came and took property that they paid for. I also doubt that there are many homeowners that would not mind if a bunch of strangers showed up in their backyard ,set a volleyball net, broke out a keg a beer and started partying.

Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Littoral Property Rights

Have any of those who profess to own the beach ever checked the law regarding littoral property rights. The Federal Navigation Act passed in the 1930's established that on navigable waters the public land begins at the mean high tide mark on out to the water.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Now as far as owning "water", let me pass this by ya'll. Last fall we were fishing the backwaters of Lynnhaven. It was about 2am and the Pups where making a really good showing around the docks of the "millionaire mansions". Whilst attempting to yak up a fish, a guy comes running out and yells, "CAN I HELP YOU!!!". Well said something smart back to him, like "get me net" or "please warm up the skillet". Not funny I know, and he declared the cops were on their way. I was not touching his dock, or stepping foot on his land. He said it's private property, which I declared Bull Chit. I totally understand that there's a minor problem of theft from folks docks, but in my eyes, I can fish one millimeter from his dock as long as I'm not touching it. Am I wrong?

Skunk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was talking to a couple of guys that were wading in the Lynnhaven just off Sandler's property. They had gotten out of their yaks and were walking around and casting. A cop got them for trespassing and wrote tickets. I call bullcrap on that kind of crap. Of course you would not want anyone out there crunching your Oyster beds, but that was not the case.

Sounds like the guy that bothered you needs to get a life.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I was talking to a couple of guys that were wading in the Lynnhaven just off Sandler's property. They had gotten out of their yaks and were walking around and casting. A cop got them for trespassing and wrote tickets. I call bullcrap on that kind of crap. Of course you would not want anyone out there crunching your Oyster beds, but that was not the case.

This is true. I know those guys and a few others that have been harassed when fishing Pleasure House Point (right off Sandler's property). Some of the VBPD have not been well versed in the ways of property rights, i.e. high tide line. I'm all for running off the trashing drunks that ruined it for us all, but leave the well to do yakker's and waders alone.

Skunk

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is true. I know those guys and a few others that have been harassed when fishing Pleasure House Point (right off Sandler's property). Some of the VBPD have not been well versed in the ways of property rights, i.e. high tide line. I'm all for running off the trashing drunks that ruined it for us all, but leave the well to do yakker's and waders alone.

Skunk
I am with you 100 %

Dennis:)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Chicks's Beach Access ??

Where can you park your car without in that area walking a 1/2 mile with all your gear ???

What about public parking and an acess strip to have access to Sandbridge Beaches or the 15 miles of beach to the NC Line ?? I would gladly pay $ 5.00 per day to park for that privilage.

The Nature Conservency locks everyone out from having ANY access to the beach for Surf Fishing except a few hundred feet at the Back Bay Wildlife Refuge entrance parking lot. Even if you to biked the 15 miles of gravel road there are no beach trail from the dirt road over the dunes to the beach.

The Nature Conservancy's fat cat financial supporters have enough money to BUY the LAND to restrict public access to the water and BUY homes on the beach and lock every one else out unless they get wings and fly from the nearest shopping mall parking lot over the " Private Propery " signs to the beach. Except for Long island and Conneticut and we all know who owned those beach access rights, Virginia is one of the most restictive beach access states in the country for the general public.

Im retired and payed my takes for 40 years + !!!! It's time we took this country back !!!!!
Ohh you know that ain't gonna happen...look at Croatan...

They want their cake and eat it,too....hypocrites
Now as far as owning "water", let me pass this by ya'll. Last fall we were fishing the backwaters of Lynnhaven. It was about 2am and the Pups where making a really good showing around the docks of the "millionaire mansions". Whilst attempting to yak up a fish, a guy comes running out and yells, "CAN I HELP YOU!!!". Well said something smart back to him, like "get me net" or "please warm up the skillet". Not funny I know, and he declared the cops were on their way. I was not touching his dock, or stepping foot on his land. He said it's private property, which I declared Bull Chit. I totally understand that there's a minor problem of theft from folks docks, but in my eyes, I can fish one millimeter from his dock as long as I'm not touching it. Am I wrong?

Skunk

Skunk
the beach used to be a lot bigger than it is now. some places had property in front of the strip. I also think the " IDIOTS AND AHOLES" are the problem. HOW CAN YOU TELL? I DRINK, I FISH, just not at the same time. just be honest, you drink while fishing, you gotta "GO piss". WE need to keep it clean, and take more trash off the beach than we brought in. as for the cops, they don't have a clue about access. PARKING!!! Thats another story!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.