Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virginia Beach has become what beaches three hundred miles north have become. GREEDY......If your nor spending 150-200 a night for a room don't bother. Ten years ago the coolest spot in town was RUDEE INLET..a friendly place where you could mix with people from everywhere and teach the kids how to fish. They took out the parking meters and now its 7 dollars a day, so stopping by after dinner is impossible. 7.50 for a license and the fishing stinks. I been visiting that area for twenty years and with a sad feeling I'll forever say GOOD-BYE

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
There's still Sandbridge, Back Bay, the northern oceanfront, Lynnhaven Inlet, Chick's Beach, Willoughby...

There's a lot more public beachfront in Tidewater than there is any other surrouding state. I agree that Rudee has become all but unfishable (and Lynnhaven is fast heading that way) but the reality is that part of the city has to cater to the tourists. Just avoid it and take advantage of all the other good spots in the region.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,actually we left Virginia Beach years ago but,we go back to visit because we raised our kids there...it was the highlight of many GREAT vacations. Sunday we caught the 6:30 headboat out of Harrisons got soaked in the early morning shower and had a ball. The captain said we caught one of the seasons better trips . Plenty of croakers 8 to 11 inches. $18 bucks and a morning out with people who just want to have a good time. Harrisons is very ole and out dated but THANK GOD its still that way. We sometimes feel it needs an upgrade but that means BIG BUSINESS and the people the follow that kind of thing(who needs it!!). That area has been our little secret for sometime.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife and I got up early this past Saturday while staying in Nags Head and went over to fish the public fishing pier built beneath the high bridge going over to Manteo. Its really a nice place; public boat ramps, restroom facilities, and a nice pier...all of which is FREE!

I thought about Rudee Inlet and how the city could do much the same thing there. However, someone posting earlier hit the nail on the head...GREED. It would never happen as long as the City and/or some business "persons" can make a buck from even one square inch of oceanfront realestate.

Much the same is occuring in the OBX. The locals are being squeezed out by higher taxes and increasing housing costs in favor of the tourists and rental properties. In fact, the service help that keeps everything rolling is getting harder to aquire because its becoming too expensive for them to live within an reasponable distance to where they work. Maybe this year's hurricane season will modify things a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah Les,

How about those locals in Corova Beach ... folks who've had beach houses down there since "Hector was a pup" ... now the landgrabbing carpetbaggers are squeezin' them out. Building big ole rental properties. They get to watch their "piece of heaven" turn into urban beach neighborhood. It's sad .....

I could go on and on ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.