Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there is as mad as I am about the lack of shore and pier fishing artices in the mags? at one of the fishing shows one of the bigger publication told me (off the record)they feel they can generate more profit by catering the boaters which sounded silly to me and don't get me started about the TV coverage ever other show is a bass fishing show! sorry for being so long winded but I would like to one day buy a mag that I know will inform me about the type of fishing I do the most or turn on the TV and see somebody surf or pier fishing. I guess they forgot the the largest striper was caught form a jetty!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I tend to agree with you Flea but the problem is selling add spots. Commercials pay for all those high powered fishing shows. The P&S guy cans carry everything he needs in a 5 gal bucket. Nothing exciting there. As far as action goes he's sitting on that 5 gal. bucket most of the time. Other than a very few surf fishing tournaments what is there to show? Can't remember the last time there was a pier or bridge tournament. Let's face it, we as a collective group don't have media appeal. There's no boats to be sold, no GPS units, no fish/depth finders, no fancy pick ups pulling those fancy bass boats, nope; just our rods and reels. Our biggest asset is the brotherhood amongst fellow anglers that we share. I tell you what, I get more pleasure from reading post like yours on the P&S forum than I'll ever get from watching a 1/2 hr. fishing show.;) My entertainment is 24/7.

Catman.:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well said, catmam.

I, for one am delighted that there is no media interest in Pier fishing.

I really don't need any "self proclaimed expert" telling me what "flavor of the month" tackle and techniques are absolutely necessary to outwit a primative, cold blooded creature with a brain smaller than a pea.

Once or twice a year, I like to take a split cane, or spring steel casting rod down off the wall in my office. Pick out an old 4 Brothers/Pflueger or Penn or Ocean City casting reel with 24 strand silk line and a gut leader. And fish that one all day, just to see how it used to be.

I gaurantee that WILL change your perspective on the sport.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You're right catman. Look how hard it is to find a heaver in the stores. We as a whole are the fishing "poor". Those of us who are likely to buy a mag. are far out of porpotion to those who are just there to catch fish. When it comes down to it I would love to buy a boat, I can't so I concentrate on pier and surf fishing, but I would still fish from the shore even if I had a boat. If we could convince the big mags that a large part of thier subscribers also fished from the shore maybe we could get a few articales in the mags. In the end it all comes down to money. Why don't we all email our favorite mags and ask for them to at least give us a bit of attention? Also, there are some good writers here, most of the mags have a section for readers tales, why not send them your own?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Skunked, I'm a boat owner for the first time this year but I'm not about to give up pier fishing, river bank, bridge, or surf fishing. And I'm not about to give up being associated with one of the greatest, and most honest, straight talking groups of fisherpersons around. It really doesn't bother me that we don't get any media exposure. We know how to have fun and don't have to take a back seat to anyone. I think it's kind of nice being the "fishing poor", we don't have to impress anyone.

Cdog, I don't subscribe to any of those mags, I get all the entertainment I need right here.

Catman.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just have to say I have 3 boats, a 22',12' and a canoe. but my favorite form of fishing is off the beach. The beach is why I moved to Fl and what better way than to spend ti on the beach fishing. I know we have a mag called Florida sportsman and they do articles on surf fishing fairly often.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I here what everyone is saying but I still have old storys about fishing in hatters for the spring run of Red Drum and other story and I think they need to be told and my piont about TV coverage is if you look at all of the bass show please tell me what is the differents between them except for the person who catching the fish.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Really haven't seen a fishing show that was worth watching. I want to learn more about fish and fishing not just watch some dude in a boat that costs more than my house.
Cocoflea, why dont you give us some of those stories?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well guys take it from one who tried. I published The Sprotfishing Report magazine, we had at least 2 surf fishing articles in every issue. Our writers were people who fished and were up on what was going on, people like Garry Oliver, Joe Mallot, Bill Hall and Joe Shute to name a few. Let me tell you about ad money from surf fishing folks, it aint there. Penn was tight as a tick, Daiwa don't come off nothing, and Silstar ain't got it. The only help we got was from a few of the better Tackle Shops, there weren't enough of them to pay the bills. We kept it going for 5 years and refused to fill it with junk to make money. I agree that the need for a quality surf and pier magazine is there, we just couldn't figure out how to pay for the thing. Maybe someone will crack the money code and make it happen, I would be one of the first subscribers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Frankly, the less media coverage, the more space for us to surf the piers and beaches. ;)

Anyway, I think we can get pretty much any info we need here on P&S, from local fisherman and at the local bait and tackle shops. I don't think anyone needs to see a fishing show featuring our ugly mugs :D

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know I stated TV coverage, but I was more interested in fishing artices for a number of reasons. First off I know I can never learn all there is about fishing and I save the mag as resoures and I love to read and what better to read then about something you enjoy than something you enjoy if it wasn't for P&S I would be a basket case that why I love going to the different boards it is as much as a joy to me hearing about fish being caught as it is catching them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts