Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know for sure if the weight of the vehicle will effect its performance on the beach? for example, will a "heavy" vehicle have more difficulty maneuvering on the sand?

ralph

·
Registered
681 Posts
just a guess

Not being smart and have never driven on the sand. But, they show Hummer driving through the desert all the time. So I would say no, but that's just a guess. I would think, that if you follow the rules for beach driving and have adequate clearance you'd be fine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Air down, drive responsibly, and you can drive ANYTHING (don't bring the Pinto) on the beach. My little ol' 88 cherokee had to pull out a big ol' brand new Dodge 4x4 because the guy failed to air down. He was at 44 psi when I checked his tires and it was 9 PM on a deserted beach.

Check out the rig in the link.

http://www.drumwagon.com/default.asp

·
Registered
272 Posts
vehicle weight

are you on a diet ralph?

:D :D

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

see ya soon !

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ralph, I've driven everything from a 2500lb. Toyota pick-up to the 4500lb. full sized Bronco that I have now(those are light vehile weights--without gear) on the beach and Shoeless is right, the important thing is to take your tire air pressure down. The Toyota hardly neeeded the air out of the tires at any time because it weighed so little, usually I only did it in real soft sand or if I had a lot of stuff in the back. The Bronco I'll usually take the tires down to 18lbs. before I hit the beach. I guess what I'm trying to say is the heavier the truck is or the softer the sand is the more air you'll want to let out. Also it is a good idea to take a tow rope with you just in case also an 12volt air compressor to reinflate the tires as you leave the beach. Almost forgot you'll want to take a shovel to go with that tow rope, just in case.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
modfications..

thanks guys i plan on making some modifications to my truck that will make it heavier. so i will follow all of this sage advise.
hey it just occurred to me, do any of you guys use those handheld walkie talkie type radios while your on the beach? when my roverclub goes on an outing most of the guys have radios to communitcate with in case someone gets into any trouble. don't quote me but i think we use a channel that is dedicated to family use. i am thinkin that might have some value for our application if we ever get stuck in the sand. i know i would repond if i got a distress call from a fishman who's vehicle was stuck.

ralph

·
Registered
823 Posts
YEA A WIDER FOOT PRINT FROM THE TIRES IS THE KEY

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Airing down definitely helps, but lighter vehicles don't require as much brute power to get around. I've driven my Honda CR-V all over Assateague and the OBX and only got stuck once at Coquina Beach because I hadn't aired down. The second I let the air out, I was back in business. It's so light it practically floats on the sand.

Shoeless is right--you can drive almost anything on the beach that has 4WD or AWD as long as you take it easy and keep the pressure low.

·
Registered
681 Posts
modifications

Did you get your idea from some thing you saw at Chevy's?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts