Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in Cocoa Beach on Nov 17 and 18 (w/wife kids and in-laws - yikes !!!!!) and will be staying oceanfront.

Question... what would be most productive at this time of the year? Casting the beach or hitting the pier?

I have the option of a 11ft European long rod (great for casting 1oz-2oz spoons/bucktails) OR a 10ft "stout" surf rod (4oz-6oz lead w/ bait).

I have never fished the ocean and I'm quit clueless on tatics and such. I have an assortment of 1oz-1 1/2oz bucktails, 1oz-2oz spoons and various lrg freshwater plastics (grubs, paddletails, etc 4in-6in).

I will probably be able to only sneak out from 6am - 9am for the two days so I'm looking for the most bang for my buck (time). I am a die hard artificial type and rarely ever use live bait.

Any tips for the beach? Anything in particular to look for... any tatics? What about the pier... simple jigging... drop shotting... cast and swim ... live bait... etc. What about color schemes or live bait options and rigs?

I think if I can manage 1 or 2 fish per day I would be happy:D

I realize there is a variety of options but hopefully the gurus here can help out a "greenie" --->>> tightlines !!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
It would be my guess, though I live an hour or so North of there, blues will be running hard by that time. they hit anything that moves, So bucktails or spoons in the 2OZ range should work great for you. Also in the surf at that time should be spanish mac. they love spoons. for both about 6" of steel leader work great and save tackle. My guess your arm may hurt from catching blues and spanish one after another!! Koz will give you more info very very good luck and be sure to let us know how you did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any hints on colors? I don't think I can bring my whole arsenal :rolleyes: Are the basics acceptable (silver, gold, white, chartrues)?

Also, will the steel leaders affect the bite? My uncle swears that pike get real spooky on steel leaders in crystal clear waters in northern MI. I guess to save tackle, one must do what one must do :)

In terms of the beach... should I be focusing on a particlur area or just try to spot seagulls bustin' bait? I imagine there may be only certain stretches of a VERY long beach that may hold decent amounts of fish. My fear is that it is all gonna look alike to an untrained eye (thats me). I would hate to be castin' into a billion gallon bathtub. LOL ----> tightlines !

·
Registered
320 Posts
I personally like silver for both spanish and blues. as to affecting the bite, for blues i would say no, spanish you might try some 40 # or bigger leader and retie often. and if they are running they will be all over the beach, it will be like casting into a bathtub with a 100 fish in it. Others may give you better advice I've only been doing the surf for 2 years. Kos is on vacation but should be back soon.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
OhRiverRat

Beachbms gotcha pretty much covered on the info . The macs are the ones that will probably be the most likely to be a little leader shy. Other then that ifin their there you should have a blast . I myself use a 3 OZ Silver Gator Spoon . Stood on the beach many a day and landed Blues and Macs one after the other while waiting for the Biggin pole to hook up with one of the larger toothies out there. I like to rig up the blue heads and use them for shark . The time of day sounds great. I like the early AM hours to fish and the incoming and outgoing tides though would be your your best times . 2 hours prior to high tide and 2 hours after . All I know is I'm hungry when I get up in the AM . So get there early and take them home for lunch or dinner.

Hope it helps you

Good Luck

Beachbms I'm lookin in from time to time be back Sat I hope.
I can here them calling my name all the way from Pittsburgh. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts