Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming to Avalon for a vacation with the family, but I plan on fishing. What should I bring(rod and line)? and where and what should I go for. Also what should I use(buy bait or bring what type of lure)? I most generally large mouth bass fish here in PA. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Check out http://www.avalonpier.com. They have good daily reports and cam.
(Assuming your trip is soon) If you want to just fish from the pier for small blues, spanish or bottom fish for spot, croaker, etc...a heavy bass rods will work (7', rated for 12-20# test). If you want to toss bait from the beach, bring nothing short of 9'. The weather pattern should hold (no waves/current) and unless you're headig down to HI, there's no need to toss more than 3oz to hold bottom.

·
Registered
592 Posts
HI Brett,
I am thinking you are referring to Avalon in OBX. If so you should post this thread in North Carolina to get more info. As a place to start try using the Search option on the top right of the page and read some of the older posts.

Hope this helps you. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bring the rods and talk with the guys at the shops. Also If you are on the beach don't be afraid to ask some advice from the people around you. OBX seems to bring out the friendly nature in folks. Often the best info that have got came from conversations with folks standing beside me. If someone is standing alone and fishing I wouldn't just walk up and start fishing right beside them, but most folks enjoy helping the others, and my give you some advise about what is working and you can slide down far enough to give some room and have a little luck yourself.

·
Registered
585 Posts
8th Street Jetty is a good place to start, decent fishing for kings as well as blues and weakies. You might also try heading a little north to Corsons Inlet SP near OC. I'd definately check out the sit BillR mentioned. Most of the guys there are from that area. You can also try renting a boat at Smugglers Cove in Stone Harbor or one of the other local rental places. There are still tons of fluke in the backbay, but mostly shorts.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It can't be said too often. The "Hot Spots" link on the left hand side of this page is a tremendous resource.

It's particularly good for South Jersey locations.

By all means, bring your bass rods.

99% of the fish caught from piers or in the bays, during the summer season, can be landed on 10# tackle.

If you run into trouble with Bluefish tearing up your rigs. A 2 to 3 foot length of 50# monofilament leader will solve that problem.

Don't get carried away with heavy leaders. They'll hurt your chances of fooling Trout and Flounder.

Use heavy leaders the same way you use insect repelant.

Only when neccessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.