Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Salty and Dr. Bubba, we now have a Virginia species guide on the Virginia Hot Spots page. Give it a look and be sure to point newbies there when they have a question about fishing the area.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hellava information guys.....Thanks to you guys all rookies can now pretend they are all season veteran... :D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Salty and Dr Bubba,
Great job on the species guide.

T<----->Lines
Kozlow
P/S I am working on some updates for the Florida hot spot section it needs it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I need to update the GA and SC hot spots as well. Any ideas on places to add?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the kudos all. It's meant to just be sort of an overall pier and shore guide, I'm sure there is plenty missing that I either forgot to add or left out by choice. Hope it comes in handy. :)

Digger: I agree- forgot plugs :eek: , but it was supposed to be a huge, big, gigantic secret that a striper will take a plug... guess the cats out of the bag now though... :D ;)

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
well, Salty really deserves the credit. He did all the work and then asked me to look it over. Good bit of info in there...........

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Just one more thing. It would be helpful to beginners to create a link to a picture of each species. I am sure that most of us already know what these fish look like, but some people I think would find this helpful.
-Anthony

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Interesting,I will have to try fishing for Spades with celophane.

Dumb question,do fish feed on smell?So if I soaked Squid strips in Clamato juice,I wouldn't need to use Chowder clams?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some fish feed more by smell and some feed primarily by sight, and combinations of- depends on the fish. Without going into it- Consider fishs' sense of smell- they don't have a direct connection from their nosrtils to throat, so they have an olfactory rosette that picks up chemical sinals (smells) in the water. The size of the rosette is what usually determines the how well a fish can "smell"- ie. in sharks, eels, some catfish, etc. they tend to be much larger.

Considering fish sight- most fish are myopic- and at any distance can only detect motion and silouettes- then, they can't see directly in front of them (of course they just turn sideways to get a better look).

They also depend on other senses to determine if it is a viable food item, including- vibration, hearing, electric charge, et al.

I could probably go on and on and on about it, but bottom line- it may work, but I personally would call it a long shot (except for croaker- they would probably jump on it)- now if you included Stolies, Tobasco, and a celery stalk- might up the chances ;) :D . I think I would just stick to the chowda clams though.

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts