Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all of you guys who moaned and groaned about the saltwater license applying to the seaside. It didn't take long for them to ask for money.

The following projects are seeking funds from the Recreational Fishing Advisory Board (RFAB, AKA recreational license money).

Fishing clinics 3 different groups $36,000 total.

Gamefish Tagging Program $60,000

Expansion and Rehabilitation of Oyster Boat Ramp, Northampton County $120,000.

Wisharts Point Landing Accomac County, $240,000

Artificial Reef Program $30,000

LITTLE ISLAND FISHING PIER IMPROVEMENTS City of VA Bch. $291,000

Undercover Law Enforcement Vechicles. $60,000

If you care about these programs getting funded. There is a RFAB meeting on July 8 where they will be explained at VMRC in Newport News. For directions go to:
http://www.mrc.state.va.us/mrcdirections.htm

You will get your chance to speak your mind at the public hearing on Sept. 9th at 7:00PM.

It sure didn't take the seaside people long to go after the funds.

tom

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh by the way is little island pier free? If not what is the daily charge and how does it compare to commercial piers?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
by the time you pay for parking it is six dollars so it's about even but don't get me wrong I'm all for it what ever it takes but if I go by my self it isn't no cheeper than anywhere else.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason that I was asking was the concept of recreational license money paying for something that turns a profit. There are a number of FREE piers, and boat ramps that are paid for with these funds.

I wonder where all of the money for using the pier and the parking goes? If it goes into a fund that supports the park/piers only then that is one thing. If it is a money maker for the city that is a whole other matter.

IMHO if there isn't enough money for every project the ones that GIVE back to the recreational anglers should be the ones to get funded. Not the ones that keep on taking our money just to use.

Tom

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Most Commercial piers are $5.50 to $6 per person.At Little Island the parking fee is the same as to go to the beach which splits between people, the last time I went there it was only a buck(could change depending on the month). The fee is also just during the summer it goes away after Labor Day, at least that was my experence. We new they were coming when they saw a good thing, Lynnhaven boat ramp which charges $5.00 per launch competing with private ramps(Bubba was $10.00). I see no difference between the two. This one just benfits the shorebased angler.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wish these dudes wiuld take a cue from the
state of MI: Fees takes from fishermen are used
for fishing/fisheries mgmt, fees taken
from hunting are used for wildlife/game manage-
ment, and fees taken from parks are used for
parks.

BTW: I recall very few boat-ramp fees in MI.
Do you have to pay many ramp fees? I think
thats supposed to come out of your water-vehicle
registration... Besides, jetskis need to use
the ramps too! :)

Tom may be onto something: VA Beach is one big
tourist trap...

·
Registered
78 Posts
i pay $10/day to kingfish at nags head, and wouldnt care if they charged me $15/day to fish at sandbridge (if they extend and add a tee)--because once you figure in the extra gas $ and the TIME! it takes to get to carolina (3.5 hours from richmond), i would still come out ahead--not crazy about a saltwater (ocean) license--but ya gotta pay to play, or so i've heard, and at my age the lifelong saltwater fishing license rates ain't that bad---JMHO

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Yooper most state ramps are free. The Lynhaven ramp will require frequent dredging to keep it open so that money will have to come from some where. I'm not sure but I believe Va Beach had to spend some money to build it also.
At Little Island the parking fee helps pay Lifeguards and the maintence of the park which the piers money goes to as well as maintence of the pier.
And most of all the Saltwater licence money is used for the fishing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i agree, if the sb pier is extended and a T added i would fish there and cut down on my trips to kitty hawk every week during the summer. i currently pay $7 to fish kitty hawk and $ 10 for the gas up and back. but its a nice pier. sandbridge offers nothing, no tackle, no bait, no restaurant, and no room to fish. the OBX is worth the drive. you would think va beach, as money hungry as they are, would be interested in the income they could produce and keep it here in the city. wise up local government, i'll buy a season pass to fish on the other side of the sand bar.

fish hard

·
Registered
37 Posts
EH Digger:
Whats the deal with Lynnhaven -- next to a
rivermouth? I have never fished there yet...
Anyways, I would agree, dredging is expensive.
If you want to fish someplace close to the
Lynnhaven site, then be willing to pay the
fee.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sandbridge does have bait in a "soda type" machine that they stock daily. The also do have a snack shop near the parking lot, but the hours are limited.

The hours definately need to be extended! It always gets good, just when they close. It's also illegal to surf fish after 11 pm, since it is considered trespassing since it's owned by the city.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Wambo

Good info on the 11 pm curfew on surf fishing. I didn't know that one. You must be a Little Island pier regular because your comment about the fishing getting good right before closing is oh so true. :)
Been there and been booted a half hour before closing with doubles coming in on every cast. "Have a heart" is what I wanted to say to the pier manager that night. Then I remembered how that line didn't work with the policeman that gave me my first ticket. :D :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've only been fishing for 3 weeks...lol, but Sandbridge is my favorite due to location, scenery, and decent hits. However the CBBT is the best on a weeknight at high tide. 3 of us went last night. I was very suprised to say the least when a friend pulled i good size shrimp that got snagged on both his hooks. We caught a number of small croaker (on the end of the pier..those along the rocks were getting nice size ones. My friend caught about a 3 foot shark, and a large stingray. I've been reading online, and the wings are eatable.
http://www.chamtech.com/fishnet/recipes/326.htm seems to be have some grea recepies for cooking fish. I don't know about the skate and Skate with Anchovy Sauce :eek:

I found out last night that cut up croaker makes excellent bait and worked much better than frozen squid or shrimp.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Wambo

The link was interesting. It led to another and another and another. Not sure either about the Skate with Anchovy sauce but the Baked Shark Cheesy Suprise and the Baked Croaker with Cracked Peanuts sounds interesting. Will give the second one a try this weekend. And the shark recipe---well , have to catch one to eat one.
And to mention the snagged shrimp. Must have been one sharp hook.
Maybe the shrimp was using the hook as a barrier between him and the fish. Or maybe he was trying out a new dance step. Must not have expected a land species to cut in. Maybe his buddies will choose not to learn how to dance the jig after witnessing his bad choice in a partner. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Crab Bomber, did you try the Baked Croaker with Cracked Peanuts? I died laughing when I saw that, yet the details stated use walnuts or pecans. I tried it with crushed walnuts and it's very good!

Excuse the Pun, It really hit the "spot".

I left my all-in-one tool at the CBBT Monday night by accident, I called today and no-one turned it in. That thing was very handy I may pick up a cheapo one at family dollar and see how it works out.

:(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.