Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I target Pompano and Whiting but for surf fishing, the Pomps are occasionally past 100 yds from the surf. I thinking about using P line, 12 lb Fluorocarbon that gives the
strength of 14 or 15 lb mono line but casts farther. Hopefully I wont get many breakoffs when using 4 oz sinker. Thoughts? Is it worth a try for greater distance if money is not an issue?

jf

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
HH, the problem with going to lighter line is abrasion resistance. 100yrds out you are probably laying some line on top of a sand bar. It wont take much to nick you line and part ways. For pomps and sea mullet I prefer braid over mono. I'm not going to say your 12lb floro wont work, but I wouldn't do it, I'd switch to 20 or 30 lb braid and put a 10' or so floro leader.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Are you worried about breaking off during the cast? Are you using a shock leader?
I run 14 lb Tri+ and a 40 or 60 shock and never worry. I can hit past the bar when needed. Tri+ is very slick off the reel.
You can check actual breaking strengths of various braids and mono lines here if that helps finding the strongest, thinnest line:
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetestingplastic.htm

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are you worried about breaking off during the cast? Are you using a shock leader?
I run 14 lb Tri+ and a 40 or 60 shock and never worry. I can hit past the bar when needed. Tri+ is very slick off the reel.
You can check actual breaking strengths of various braids and mono lines here if that helps finding the strongest, thinnest line:
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetestingplastic.htm
...the TRI will give U more distance....I am an ANDE man but for my blue yonders and squalls I always use 14 lb tri.....U can reach out and touch em.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After "googling", There is a also a sufix elite. Is the Sufix Tritanium and Tritanium Plus better?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would go with 10# powerpro and a fluro hand tied rig and you can easily reach that outer bar and have the sensitivity to feel lite bights and the line powerpro will let you use light weights. IMHO

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive never used braid line. I heard that its hard on the fingers? Easy to cut youself? But Maybe aquakinz would help with the fingers.

I would go with 10# powerpro and a fluro hand tied rig and you can easily reach that outer bar and have the sensitivity to feel lite bights and the line powerpro will let you use light weights. IMHO

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
with a 4 oz sinker You can use a shock line with about 20 or 25lb flouro or mono. That way you don't have the braid on your finger. Suffix 832 20 lb with the diameter of 6lb mono is also a good choice of braid.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Try 14# Sakuma. It's very thin (.28MM),abrasion resistant, breaks at 18-19lbs, stays limp and strong enough if something bigger (like puppy drum) gets on. Tommy sells it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do youall think of Sakuma Nite Crystal Hi-Vis Mono Fishing Line? It says high-vis but isnt that a negative?

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
I have heard, on this forum, that Sakuma line is great for distance casting and fishing from elevated structure like piers, but that it has abrasion problems when being fished from the beach, surf-fishing. I would do some more research on Sakuma, to be sure it's right for you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The reason I was considering it is because its supposed to be thinner line than mono of the same test.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts