Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WOULD LIKE TO START USING ARTIFICIAL LURES FOR BAIT FISH LIKE PERCH, SPOT,CROAKER.I WOULD MOSTLY BE WORKING FROM A PIER AND SINCE PERCH ARE MOSTLY CAUGHT IN THE DAY I WOULD BE FISHING FROM MORNING ON. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE BEST TYPE OF ROD TO USE EX. ULTRA LIGHT TO MEDIUM ACTION RODS AND WHAT TYPE(S) OF LURES AND WHAT SIZE.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Tough to catch spot and croaker on lures unless they are tipped with pieces of bait such as squid, "Perdue Peelers" or the like.

I use shad darts in the Spring to catch lots of white perch around the pilings on the Severn River on my ultra light rod rigged with 2 lb test line. The neon green shad darts and the neon green crappie jigs like Mr Twisters work best. Use white crappie jigs or small (1/16 ounce) bucktails if you want to tangle with schoolie stripers. ;) You will be surprised when the schoolie striper takes one and heads downtown! What a fight on light tackle! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Small chrome spoons will catch all of the species you plan to target. If you like to catch and release, change out the trebles for singles. It's common for these fish to treble hook their mouths shut. Another favorite are small white curly tail grubs on light jig heads. Try small chartreuse over white clousers if you have a fun rod. :)

Often a good size striper or redfish will fall for the same lures, so I recommend using a medium or medium light rod which will have enough backbone especially if you fish structure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
beatle spins, smallest rat-l-trap and rattlin rapalas u can find, use 6 pound test with light drag n a medium actin rod
i find alot of small crappie n bass lures work too but the yellow johnson beetle spins work awesome and alot of times i catch perch on every cast, and i fish all summer long like this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts