Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tues. 12/2, started fishing from a private pier in Edgemere , at 6:00am, facing south down the bay. Low tide was due at about 8:30am. Fished until 9:30am when the wind really started gusting. I used only elwy on 7/0 circle hooks. Not one bite. This place is usually good for a couple of good hits and I usually always catch some white perch and some catfish. (By the way, I discovered a public pier in Edgemere, behind the Senior Center on the left, as you are entering the town. Fishing is permitted dawn to dusk. I have no idea how the fishing is there.)

Today, Thurs. 12/4, started fishing at 6:30am on the point at Rocky Point Park . Low tide was due at 10:17am. Fished until 9:30am. I used elwy on 7/0 circle hooks as well as, a 5" Atom Popper and a 5" Storm. Again not one bite. It very is unusual to not even catch white perch or catfish here. There was not one other fisherman there either. This is also very unusual for this time of day, even during the week, even when it's cold. Do they know something I don't?

On the way out of the park I talked with two boaters, who were just coming back in. They both had the same experience I did. They said that they, and a number of their boat-fisherman friends, think there's very little bait fish from the Back River up into the Middle River. I don't know if that is a fact, but it may explain why a lot of us are not havng much luck with stripers lately.

By the way, the DNR website recently stated that Rocky Point is closed to fishing. That's not true. You can still park by the swimming area and walk 10 mins down to the point.

I wish I had better news to report. Lately I've only been fishing at these two places and at Martin's Cove. I think tonight I'll try some cow hunting. Maybe I'll have better luck . ;)

Is anybody out there catching any rock, say from Havre deGrace down to Fort Smallwood? I'd sure like to know.

PS - Thanks Billr and sand flea. I got the elastic thread and the kosher salt.

·
Registered
374 Posts
By the way, the DNR website recently stated that Rocky Point is closed to fishing. That's not true. You can still park by the swimming area and walk 10 mins down to the point.
I saw that posted on the DNR site last week. Thanks for clearing that up and the report too.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Thanks for the report Blue. Fishing is pretty tough everywhere. Did you ever fish the Joppatown Marina in the winter. The pilings have bubblers to prevent ice damage and can be some excellent fishing. Keep the reports coming.

Catman.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion Catman.

I've heard some people around here mention that Joppatown Marina is a good place to go. I haven't been there but next week might be a good time to check it out. I have a retired friend who knows where it is and likes to do exploratory missions. Unfortunately he won't fish when it's cold.

Joey,

At the same time the DNR said Rocky Point is closed for fishing, they suggested that people can go to the Senior Center pier in Edgewood. I didn't mean to say that I "discovered" the place. I just checked it out while I was in Edgemere and wanted people to know that it's easy to find.

Blue Heron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts