Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been Fishing to much to post reports, heres whats going on in the Grand Strand Area

Spec Trout- Turned On a few weeks ago then turned off again, the bite is slowly turning back on in the creeks, mainly big fish, but alot of smaller ones mixed in- live shrimp under a popping cork- you will have to get through the stupid blues before you catch a trout but it will be worth it.

Black Drum-there around, fish for them the same as the specs

Red Fish, Spot Tail, Red Drum- Bite is hot in the creeks, there schooled up big time, lots of fluro and small baits/lures

Flounder-Tons of fish, caught 15 last week but only 2 were legal, lots of 13.5inch fish, gulp works good

Split Tail-Kinda Slow- try the masters or pent house for a sure thing;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I heard of other people catching a bunch of short flounder. Is that common at the end of the season?
I don't know but I'm getting tired of throwing back 13 - 13 1/2" flounder back. I wish they had left it at 12" and cut the limit. Or allow you like 5 @ 12"+ and the rest of the limit has to be 14"+.
I love to fish but I love to eat them as much as I do catching them.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I don't know but I'm getting tired of throwing back 13 - 13 1/2" flounder back. I wish they had left it at 12" and cut the limit. Or allow you like 5 @ 12"+ and the rest of the limit has to be 14"+.
I love to fish but I love to eat them as much as I do catching them.
Yep. But in the next few years we should be seeing more and more bigger fish. Which suits me fine, just like the trout.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
yeah..for me...just the fun of catching flounder etc. and throwing em back is alot better than a slow day...now sea robins and other nasting looking fish thats another story...and like smoothlures says next year they will be bigger.better fishing days ahead..:fishing:

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
yeah..for me...just the fun of catching flounder etc. and throwing em back is alot better than a slow day...now sea robins and other nasting looking fish thats another story...and like smoothlures says next year they will be bigger.better fishing days ahead..:fishing:
Hey Danman, sea robins are REAL good eatin'. No kidding.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
split tail season gets slow when the tourists leave the snow birds come down,
this time of year, alot of the flounder of breeding size head offshore to spawn, the smaller ones that are yet to reach that size stay in the creek. some all winter.

i like the regs how they are now, this is the tranisition year after the size and limit changes. its always akward but the fish we are seeing now will be legal next year and we will have even more 12-13inch fish next year so the fishery will get better because all the shorts your catching now will spawn next year and so on. i wish they would of made the size limit for flounder 16inches and made a limit of 5 in my opinion, it would take a couple of years to get better but then it would be outstanding in say 5 years down the road. always gotta think ahead. 5 16inch flounder will give you more meet then 10 12inch flounder

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Danman, sea robins are REAL good eatin'. No kidding.
I've heard the bigger ones were.

I have a few questions, though. How big is best for the table and how do you prepare them? It seems like 90% of the fish I've pulled up in the last 6 months were sea robins.

-=The Prynce

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hey Bubba..They probably good eatin but when I catch one they remind me of toad fish I use to catch down fla. back in the yesteryears:fishing:

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
I've eaten them fried. They were very good, but they did have bones in there that you had to pick out. The ones I had were small filets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts