Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with a security guard, and he informed me that before we could conduct a cleanup, that I would have to consult with the school's administration. I talked with my attorney friend, and he said that since the land portion of Pig Point is state owned, that there could be possible liabilty issues in case someone was injured during a sponsored cleanup. He recommended trying to get an Adopt a Highway type authorization to protect anyone from possible lawsuits. In short, red tape may implicate Pier and Surf.com if any incidents occur. I know we can't to do that. Instead, I will look into what it takes to get an Adopt A Highway authorization to clean the area. I would rather hold off on a cleanup of the breakwater area until we do so. As for the pier itself, I was there after work for a few minutes and it doesn't look that bad considering the traffic it has had the last few weeks. I would say at this point, be vigilant in cleaning your own area and the stuff around you, and educate those who choose to litter or keep undersized fish. I'll post something later after I consult with VDOT about the Adopt A Highway program.

·
Registered
885 Posts
OBM*** We don't want to adopt a highway, just clean up the trash around our fishing spots. Why don't we just get together and clean it up while we're fishing whithout claiming a sponsor [ie; P&S]. That way we could get to know each other and maybe get something more formal going. Just pick a date, time and location and say "BE THERE". Those of us that want to be part of it will come. :D

P

·
0 Posts
Advisor according to your profile you're a retired police lieutenant. I'm just curious. Lieutenant of an official police dept or possibly lieutenant of some type of civilian security firm? You should know the legal costs if anyone does this without proper approval.

Just a reminder....Fines/tickets/and trespassing can all prove to be very expensive. Surely you are familiar with the legal process. Unless you have had no street experience. Just office duties. No point in rushing this matter. There is quite a lot to be considered. If you are so determined to get this thing up and rolling, do a little pickup and clean up on your own. Cause a larger group setting will definitely be a problem. And announcing a date; that's a definite no no. Kinda like advertising to those in authority to "Come and Get Us."

And about the cook out...don't worry bout that being a no go. There does seem to be an interest by many. So at some point you'll have a chance to draw your fork and knife and have a go at it. :eek: And don't for get to bring a dish!

I post this message as a reminder to all members. These are a good group of guys that don't need any trouble. So.... :rolleyes:

Private messaging does have it's benefit..cause if certain posts weren't put out for all to read, then I would not be giving this unsolicited advice. But since it was...well I think I've posted more than 2 cents worth by my calculations. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts