Pier and Surf Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

· Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Tommy Wheeler produced some Top Shelf, high quality heavers that are still popular today. When you find something that feels right and casts far then the natural thing is to stick with it. I understand completely.

Back in late 09 I decided to have a go with the Cast Pro Rods. I didn't know if it would work, but I did know that I wanted to put a top quality line of surf rods out there. In my mind, if the quality was there everything else would eventually fall into place.

On the heavers. If you want a top performing product you have to benchmark that product against the best out there. In 2009 the Fusion/Fusion Mag, the Red Rod, the 1509 and the old standby 1502 lami were the "hot" heavers to beat. I tested sample rods and prototype rods over and over until the design and performance worked the way I wanted. I kept at it until the CPS 6-10 heaver would consistently out cast the benchmark rods in my hands. I then recruited others to test the rods as well and the results were consistent. When I was happy the rods went into production.

Every fisherman is different and has individual likes and dislikes in a rod. While I personally love the power and action of the CPS 6-10, I got feedback from several serious drum fisherman that the rod was just a little soft in the tip for their taste. I took this feedback and went to work. After more testing, sample rods and prototypes the 13' 8-12 heaver was born. 15% more power in the midsection and 20% more power in the tip gave it what I believe is the right power mix to please the hardcore guys out there.

Everyone has their favorites. I understand and respect that. However, if you haven't cast one I would like to challenge you to give the CPS 13' 6-10 and especially the new 8-12 a fair shake. Even better catch a big fish on one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tommy

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Tommy Wheeler produced some Top Shelf, high quality heavers that are still popular today. When you find something that feels right and casts far then the natural thing is to stick with it. I understand completely.

Back in late 09 I decided to have a go with the Cast Pro Rods. I didn't know if it would work, but I did know that I wanted to put a top quality line of surf rods out there. In my mind, if the quality was there everything else would eventually fall into place.

On the heavers. If you want a top performing product you have to benchmark that product against the best out there. In 2009 the Fusion/Fusion Mag, the Red Rod, the 1509 and the old standby 1502 lami were the "hot" heavers to beat. I tested sample rods and prototype rods over and over until the design and performance worked the way I wanted. I kept at it until the CPS 6-10 heaver would consistently out cast the benchmark rods in my hands. I then recruited others to test the rods as well and the results were consistent. When I was happy the rods went into production.

Every fisherman is different and has individual likes and dislikes in a rod. While I personally love the power and action of the CPS 6-10, I got feedback from several serious drum fisherman that the rod was just a little soft in the tip for their taste. I took this feedback and went to work. After more testing, sample rods and prototypes the 13' 8-12 heaver was born. 15% more power in the midsection and 20% more power in the tip gave it what I believe is the right power mix to please the hardcore guys out there.

Everyone has their favorites. I understand and respect that. However, if you haven't cast one I would like to challenge you to give the CPS 13' 6-10 and especially the new 8-12 a fair shake. Even better catch a big fish on one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tommy
I do indeed want to try out your new 8-12

I am also glad you don't fish the OBX regular............I might get Drunk and start running my mouth and get into an extended "on tilt skunk down" and loose all my good sticks in one afternoon:rolleyes:

The rest of the girls with the exception of TomH never want to play.........must be afraid of back-lashing, or else losing..:rolleyes:....or wrapping a tip:rolleyes:....creating a WRI stubby:rolleyes:

· Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Garbo,

I fish the banks as often as time and life allow. Come Jan 1, I'll be retired from my 34 years in Power Generation and plan to sell rods full time. Hope to spend a lot more time on HI.

I'd love to fish with you one day. Specifically on the planks. I've been a feet in the sand kinda guy forever but would love a shot at one of the big pier drum. I'd be a NON know it all rookie and would love help learning the ropes. Gladly exchange casting tips (for those that need) for planking tips.

:)

Tommy

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Garbo,

I fish the banks as often as time and life allow. Come Jan 1, I'll be retired from my 34 years in Power Generation and plan to sell rods full time. Hope to spend a lot more time on HI.

I'd love to fish with you one day. Specifically on the planks. I've been a feet in the sand kinda guy forever but would love a shot at one of the big pier drum. I'd be a NON know it all rookie and would love help learning the ropes. Gladly exchange casting tips (for those that need) for planking tips.

:)

Tommy
Your "Planker learning curve" likely will be relatively short..........say like first cast or two...........Planking for Drum has even more to do with distance than the beach in my humble opinion, Drum mostly show up from up current, Cobb heads are preferred as the "pickers" will have you fishing on credit is short order... Planking is easier on the old body leaning your rod on the railing instead of holding it all night and when you hit it right you can catch big numbers of Drum with everyone on the end of the T helping to get the fish on deck instead of like on the beach at the Point when sometimes it seems like you are fighting a bad dream of multiple tangles and the inexperienced.

Sometimes four of five big drum will be hooked up at one time and since everyone "Has" to work together every one of those fish will be decked....it is due to "Pier Etiquette" to have everyone work as a team.........

I will tell you every thing I know for free, it is not a whole lot more than you all ready know, and with the exception of my super secret Drum aerodynamic sinker and clip down rig combo that the rest of the "girls" have not seen yet nothing that I ever invented, the fellas who taught me were more than generous, especially the Red Headed
Fella

· Registered
144 Posts
you need to stay home garbo, you blow up way too much, too old like me. and a trigger seat is for woooooosies to whoever likes them. mags are for those who cant cast, hhahahahahahah
I think this thread needs a "Skunk Down" to determine which rod is best

If anyone wants to throw their WRI or Century or any other rod with conventional reel holding at least 220 yards of of 20 pound mono line and I mean any WRI rod against a lowly old and I mean old All Star 1508 with a competition butt .........rod for rod.........eight ounce pyramid sinker........loser gives up rod and reel to winner..........one cast.........any style cast Hatteras. Pendulum or Ground......back lashes count..............Winner decides what he wants to do with his new rod......... and whether to keep it or give it to some young promising Boy Scout or Pilgrim

Let me know

I am looking for a new Inferno and do not want to have to buy it:cool:

· Registered
2,911 Posts
you need to stay home garbo, you blow up way too much, too old like me. and a trigger seat is for woooooosies to whoever likes them. mags are for those who cant cast, hhahahahahahah
Sounds like a Skunk Down is in the making, I should be down in March

What stick you chucking?:rolleyes:

I need that Fusion Mag blank in your garage

If you want go ahead wrap it up with AA thread Carolina Blue over and under wraps with black trims and 34" to the center of the reel seat

You can get Skid to throw for you if you want as long as he brings that Green Nail

· Registered
2,911 Posts
got a mag, fusion, zippy, 1509 blank, mag blank 2 lami from the 70s that outcasted you back then if I need them, hahahahahahah fiberglass wins

The best thing I learned from the Internet was the rubber flap trick which protects my tender office boy hands and the beach pendulum, it totally changed the way I load the rod and I also took in mind Tommy's tip about fully extending in my case the left arm, you girls will be crying when I finally show up, I practice my timing every day, can do it in the dark now without having to see the sinker

If you want to go fiberglass and Abu 9000's or 8600's with 25 pound line no problemo, mano y mano

Them old Lami's will be left in the dust by my Surf Sticks

You got that Shrimp boat ready yet? I like Shrimp:rolleyes:

· Registered
144 Posts
surfsticks are for you northern guys anyway, fenwick made them for those who cant cast, I didn't need them and that's why I sold mine, just bought a 40 hp evinrude for shrimp boat, its in garage waiting paint, got to sell your rods so I can afford the marine topcoat, isn't cheap, hahahahah
The best thing I learned from the Internet was the rubber flap trick which protects my tender office boy hands and the beach pendulum, it totally changed the way I load the rod and I also took in mind Tommy's tip about fully extending in my case the left arm, you girls will be crying when I finally show up, I practice my timing every day, can do it in the dark now without having to see the sinker

If you want to go fiberglass and Abu 9000's or 8600's with 25 pound line no problemo, mano y mano

Them old Lami's will be left in the dust by my Surf Sticks

You got that Shrimp boat ready yet? I like Shrimp:rolleyes:

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I like the CTS line. Never thrown the CPS but they are some fine rods
Problem with a CTS is they are not thick enough in the wall to handle a highstick. Imagine standing waist deep and fighting a fish. You need to get the tip up to position the fish next to you. Saw a brand new CTS snap 10" from the tip sliding a 5lb doggie to get unbuttoned doing such. If you never have intention to get in with teh fish the CTS might be a good stick. But far from the ultimate. Ultimates need to perform and take a beating and survive.

· Registered
196 Posts
I have high sticked a 1364 with a 7 ft sand tiger.... has anyone broke a 1364 by high stick?... not saying that 10' didnt break, but its not a heaver. I have seen some models have thinner walls than others, but other sticks like a 1502 have thin walls as well. Fusions have thin walls in the top foot? :D

· Banned
2,920 Posts
Yeah, I know the thread is from 2013 . . .

Lamiglas Ron Arra XRA-138-1H . . . I just picked up what may be the last brand new blank in existence.

This is NOT a "parabolic" blank like a GSB-136-1MH ( I had one of those but sold it ) !

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Lucky. Looking at the CTS S7 13-06 and a CCP 8-12 (http://www.carolinacastpro.com/products/CPS13FT8-12OZC) I have thrown the CTS and it's very nice. I have not thrown the CCP and would simply have to buy it and try. The time to get the CCP is immediate and the CTS is like a month :( Drum are starting up now and my Tica 12 is holding me back. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts