Pier and Surf Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

· Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Dan,

I don't carry the 8-12 as a spinner. To be honest there aren't many guys out there that throw that much weight with a spinning rod.

I do have blanks though and you could sure have one built up.

Tommy

· Banned
529 Posts
The decommissioned wheels reels nail. Matched with A Penn 535 GS,
spooled with A 25 pound Ande pink and with A 60 pound big game Berkley
clear shock leader. A standard uni-knot to A fish finder rig, 10 ounce storm
sinker and A 10/0 octopus beak hook with A 3 inch 60 pound straight leader
snelled to the hook and clinched to A barrel swivel. Bait of choice would be
A bunker head with the shoulders attached and now followed with A beastly
Hatterrass cast!

· Registered
168 Posts
Kompressor best Ive ever thrown . What ever rod you throw if you cant load it you should not be thrown it. Ive never casted AFAW rods so I cant pass judgement but ,speaking for my self a great learning rod would be the Batson Rods (rainshadow) you can buy a blank in the saltwater series at a very cheap price Batson is not making them anymore. Build it yourself rod ,would cost you less than $175. Rainshadod 3to6 easy to throw, light ,takes a lick'en an and keeps tick'en.

· Registered
92 Posts
I have a Saltiga Ballistic 35-405G that I bought used.... the middleweight one, 4-12 ounces. I like it a lot, but I haven't thrown it hard yet because I'm afraid I'm gonna break it. Can I put 8nbait on it and chuck it hard, or is that best left for the 6-15oz. model?

3,771 Posts
The thing I never liked about the Salitgas was that when fighting a big fish, the line tends to dip below the rod a lot on conventionals.

While the Nail was a beastly rod WRI made vast improvements with the inferno, then the fusion and the f-mag. Worst part was not being able to get a straight blank all the time. While I tend to wish I had held on to the last two fusions I owned (and built). I still stand by the CCP 8-12 or 6-10. About the biggest bait I toss any more is a lopped off spot head and I still cut them off in front of the fins so they will fly farther.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
the furthest casting drummers on the beach/pier mostly all throw wheeler rods

in no particular order...and some heavy hitters forgotten im sure

tom harris-fusion...not much to say here but i hope ive got better bait
ken wilson-mag...not sure how the old man does it, keep a yougen on his toes
william-mag....in pats words "hes a monster"
blakester-st croix beast...dilf can put it out there
arch-inferno...diablo, grandmaster, doesnt just hit the rail, BREAKS the rail
j hillsman-?1509 maybe?not sure what he throws nowadays..often copied, never duplicated haha
pat-mag...watch sensei throw a bait twice the size of yours way on out there
joel-nail, inferno,assorted wheeler rods...in pats words"when i grow up i want my rod to make that sound"
nick-fusion i think still, i wish hed quit building others longcasting drum rods
zack-fusion or mag?smokes em all spring
lee- mag/infernos...well when hes not picking out a zing pow

list goes on.....i just bought another inferno in case one of my other two breaks , and ill buy the next one i see for sale and the one after that.....

a real drum rod will throw ten or twelve if need be and a skateproof cobb or seamullet head...most of the rods on the market are straining with 8 and a fingermullet....

· Registered
159 Posts
Just what it implies....a trigger below the reel seat for a conventional reel setup. The ones I've built top off for maybe a size 24 but they may make them larger than that. It's a comfort thing mostly for positioning your hand for the cast.

· Registered
4,032 Posts
I own a few of the Wheeler rods and enjoy them very much but I hope to never have a problem because there are no parts to be had to fix them,,,
Now with that list of names,,, yes those are some monster casters and they are at the top of the game but now also remember you put any rod in their hands and they will out cast most normal fishermen,,, so is it the rod or the caster?

I have heard from a lot of folks that Tommys Farmers new rods will bomb a bait way out and fight a fish as well as any out there and one very important thing to remember,, if there is a problem he can get parts and has a factory still in business to stand behind him..

Yea I am not going to go way, way back but I remember a few years ago if you didn't have a Lami 1502 and a Abu 7500 you should not be standing on the point with the big boys.

· Registered
2,911 Posts
I think this thread needs a "Skunk Down" to determine which rod is best

If anyone wants to throw their WRI or Century or any other rod with conventional reel holding at least 220 yards of of 20 pound mono line and I mean any WRI rod against a lowly old and I mean old All Star 1508 with a competition butt .........rod for rod.........eight ounce pyramid sinker........loser gives up rod and reel to winner..........one cast.........any style cast Hatteras. Pendulum or Ground......back lashes count..............Winner decides what he wants to do with his new rod......... and whether to keep it or give it to some young promising Boy Scout or Pilgrim

Let me know

I am looking for a new Inferno and do not want to have to buy it:cool:

21 - 40 of 73 Posts