Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion what is the ultimate heaver rod for fishing the point and surf in Hatteras or casting 8+bait to the horizon from the end of the pier? My current favorite is a frank & fran's special Tica 6-12 oz casting rod that I bought from them last fall. It is the most stout rod I own and does well paired with a Saltist 30. I haven't tried any of the high end rods out there.

What would you consider the ultimate heaver to use for drum, sharks, stripers etc from the beach and piers of Hatteras Island? Balistic, St Croix, Carolina Cast Pro, Lami, Breakaway, Century, Tica??

· Registered
2,557 Posts
The ultimate heaver would be one that a person can load and come around on effectively. A telephone pole in one persons arm could be a wet noodle in another's. I know that isn't the answer you were looking for on this thread, but I have known many fishermen that bought what someone else thought was the greatest heaver only to be disappointed when they tried to load it.

Saying that, right now, I really like my SU1569. Light, easy for me to load, and light. :)

· Premium Member
3,350 Posts
When I was developing the Cast Pro Series (CPS) heavers there were a few rods that I targeted as performance benchmarks. The Fusion, the Red Rod (daiwa ballistic) and the 1509. I put a lot of work into testing and developing prototypes until I was satisfied that the CPS heavers would outcast them all. To keep it fair I recruited others to help in the testing (even A HARDCORE Fusion guy who now uses the CPS) and the results were clear across the board. With 8-10 oz my rods were consistently on top, and did it with less stress on the caster.

I also know that everyone is different and there is no such thing as a one size fits all rod. As Hudak said, what works for one may not be the right fit for another. My advice is to get your hands on as many as possible and test drive them. Hit them hard and see what feels good to you.

I bet you'll like the CPS 8-12... :)

Tommy

· Registered
188 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Century's yet so I guess I'll chime in. I'm in no way able to throw like some, like Tommy and Tony, but in my opinion, the Kompressor along with some of the other Century rods will load and sling like none other that i've ever thrown. I've got it paired with a magged Shimano Trinidad 16a. I've gone as high as 12 and bait last year drum fishing during Hurricane Sandy and laid into it as hard as i could and the rod performed perfectly. I normally use 6-8 oz with bait and it will do everything I cant do with any other rod. Put a tournament sinker on there and watch out.......

As far as fighting drum, no problems whatsoever. Mine is a 14' so i do have a little bit of an issue once the fish gets close if im fishing with it off a pier but its not that big of a deal. Not a bad rod for sharks, up to a certain point. Once they get over a certain weight (exactly what that weight is I cant be sure), you are fighting the rod just as much as you are the fish.

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So - a friend recently brought his family down to HI during our vacation and stayed with us for a week. He asked what he owed me for the house and an offshore fishing trip etc. I sent him a link to the CPS 13' 8-12 oz heaver and said that would do. We'll see what happens.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
When I was developing the Cast Pro Series (CPS) heavers there were a few rods that I targeted as performance benchmarks. The Fusion, the Red Rod (daiwa ballistic) and the 1509. I put a lot of work into testing and developing prototypes until I was satisfied that the CPS heavers would outcast them all. To keep it fair I recruited others to help in the testing (even A HARDCORE Fusion guy who now uses the CPS) and the results were clear across the board. With 8-10 oz my rods were consistently on top, and did it with less stress on the caster.

I also know that everyone is different and there is no such thing as a one size fits all rod. As Hudak said, what works for one may not be the right fit for another. My advice is to get your hands on as many as possible and test drive them. Hit them hard and see what feels good to you.

I bet you'll like the CPS 8-12... :)

Tommy
This is why my next one will be a CCP. I was not part of the beta group but fished with the HARDCORE fusion guy. Even though his priority have kept his sorry butt off the beach this year, I know his testing and casting are similar to mine. I have thrown the CCP a few times and truely believe it is probably the best overall heaver being produced today. As sad a day as it will be to see my Fusion or Lami1502 give up the ghost I have the consolation to know I have a very solid fall back. One thing very often not discussed in a heaver discussion is fish fighting feel. The Fusion blasts a cast beyond the horizon but fighting a fish will wear you out. The lami doesnt give the distance but is a treat to fight a fish on. From what I have seen under strain the CCP had a good balance of power and fighing ability. Sorry to sound like a commercial but Seriously I like the CCP a bunch, I just cant justify the expense while I got two that have been sliding fish on the beach for 6 years now. Each of mine have 30+ drum. If it aint broke dont fix it.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
I agree with Gilly. My CPS 6-10 goes with me every trip, well, so does my 3-7 and 2-5 CPS's as well. For what is out there being produced today, the blank I recommend to people I build for are the CPS heavers. I think that is one reason why I like my SU1569, because it can't be replaced for the most part. :) When/if that one bites the dust, it will be replaced with another CPS.

3,771 Posts
This is why my next one will be a CCP. I was not part of the beta group but fished with the HARDCORE fusion guy. Even though his priority have kept his sorry butt off the beach this year, I know his testing and casting are similar to mine. I have thrown the CCP a few times and truely believe it is probably the best overall heaver being produced today. As sad a day as it will be to see my Fusion or Lami1502 give up the ghost I have the consolation to know I have a very solid fall back. One thing very often not discussed in a heaver discussion is fish fighting feel. The Fusion blasts a cast beyond the horizon but fighting a fish will wear you out. The lami doesnt give the distance but is a treat to fight a fish on. From what I have seen under strain the CCP had a good balance of power and fighing ability. Sorry to sound like a commercial but Seriously I like the CCP a bunch, I just cant justify the expense while I got two that have been sliding fish on the beach for 6 years now. Each of mine have 30+ drum. If it aint broke dont fix it.
I feel the Love....
Sigh,

HARDCORE!

On another note. I will be gracing the sand this week coming up for the first time all year. Alas, I don't know what it will feel like getting off the fiberglass and onto the sand again. The CCP 6-10 and the 8-12 will be guests at this years events.

· Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received the CPS 8-12 13' rod in the mail yesterday. I haven't cast it yet, but it's a beast! I can't wait to try it out. It's my only 13' rod and my first with a trigger.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts