Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does rough ground mean to the UK guys?

I was just looking through ebay and a seller from the UK was selling a pen mag 525. He's selling because he switched back to "rough ground", jeez. I thought the Abu garcia 6500 was for ???soft ground??? idk what the opposing term to rough ground would be.... And i thought things like the daiwa sl30shes and penn's were the "rough ground" reels

I just made quick assumptions by name, and that the soft ground is sand and there isn't much to tug through. While rough ground is pebbly beaches, where the water infront would have a lot of boulders or seaweed and a lot of crap to pull through.

A true explanation would be nice!

thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I come from the rocky coast of Maine, so I can relate to "rough ground". Your assumption is spot on. Rough ground in Maine is rocky, and the UK is similar, with also a lot of cobble beaches..,On rough ground you can lose your weight, or maybe even your whole rig in a crack, on a rock, or in big gobs of seaweed, etc. So you've got to have a lot of torque to get your gear back. I use pulley rigs alot, or a rig with the weight on a lighter line, so it will break away with out me loosing my whole rig. Check out http://britishseafishing.co.uk/...
Go to terminal-tackle/rough-ground-rigs Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts