Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question about a rod. There is a 10'0 Ugly Stik im looking at and its 59.99. Is that a good deal or should i keep looking?

·
Registered
160 Posts
i use ugly sticks for mostly fresh water they have an unconditional factory warranty. i love my ugly sticks. but as far as a ten foot rod. well for $59 there are better name rods out there but ugly sticks are great rods. maybe you should go to dicks sports and look at a quantum blue runner a little cheaper and a great salt water rod!
my two cents.

buzz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Drumrunner I was checking out that same rod at K-mart. It seems like a good deal but, for 30 more clams you can get a 9' Tica surf rod. Than you can toss 8 and bait with no problem. I tried that with my 10'MH action uglystick, now it's an 8' uglystick. Hope that helps. :D

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Ugly sticks are great rods for the $$$, but once you get to that size, are a little heavy for my taste. As far as less expensive rods go, I think the best for the buck is the Tica. I have a 10'6" that I bought for $60, and couldn't be more pleased :D

My $.02

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got em hooked u went to the kmart on nine mile rd?? i work there and probally saw you if you did.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Drum Runner, fork out the extra jack and get a Tica or Tsumani. You won't be sorry and won't be wishing later on that you had spent the money when the Ugly Stik doesn't fit your expectations. The Ugly Stiks are decent rods for what they are, but they are just too soft, IMO. PA DIST on 17th St. has both so you can compare. 428-1000 And I think got'em hooked meant 11' on the Tica for 8n bait. The 9' is a stingsilver size rod.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok if i do get a tica or tsunami what type of reel should i put on it?

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you are getting a conventional, I recommend the Daiwa SL30SH or 30SHV. If you are getting a spinner, I don't have a clue. Just make sure whatever reel you get will hold over 250 yds of 20 lb line.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think ive decided on a rod i found on cabelas. its a daiwa eliminator s surf series. im gonna get the 9 footer MH action that holds 1-6 ounces of weight. i still need a reel though....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Drum Runner,

If you want to get jiggy with the big boys (drum, stripers) for under $70.00 you can get a 12' Tica Extra Heavy, 4-10 ounce "launching system" at www.digitaldigger.com. Look under the Tica lineup, then scroll down to the new 2003 foam grip rods. Or take the cork for $99.00. Same rod, different grips. I have one each and lovem! Sweeeeeet!

Macman :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Reddog1 is dead on! I put an XT5500 on my Tica. Low tide, no problem. Still get out to where the fish are! Excellent matchup! Pick the 6000 for extra line yardage.

:D

macman

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what is a good website to research and compare different reels?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Drum runner....YOU ARE AT THE WEBSITE !!!!if you are looking for specs go to hatterasoutfitters,jamestackle,tackledirect....the R

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are going to toss bait and not lures from your big rod then get an Ugly stick.

I have usede them for years and love them. I have 2 12' and a 15'. Weight is not a problem if you are only bait fishing.

They are as tough as nails and can toss big oz's out. They won't break under 8oz's unless you have dinged your rod or had a crack in it. Heck I was tossing 12 and 16 oz in Hatteras several weeks ago and was the only one who could keep their line out for more than 15 minutes, man did that tide suck!

Anyway, for $75+ you can get a 12'. Like I said I have had mine for a while and they are awsome for bait fishing.

Either way, everyone has their favorites!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I swear by Ugly Sticks. I have 4 - 8 1/2 foot Ugly sticks, with Penn l03CS reels for my wife and myself, and we have caught everything from small spot to 3 foot Jacks and a 5 foot Tarpin with them. I know the reels are a little cheep, but they are easy to repair.
We use them on the pier, in the surf, and on the old bridges in the Florida Keys. I put my 110 and 12 foot poles away long ago. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts