Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before getting back into Pier/Surf fishing, I never really gave much thought to what type of fishing line that I used.

El-Cheapo, Wally-World line seemed to suffice.

Now that I spend a lot more time fishing, I see a wide variety of lines used in the surf and off piers and jettys.

I've been using a 9' Shakespeare in the surf w/20 lb mono and a 40 lb shockleader. My "wash" rig is a little 6' Shakespeare with 12 lb line / 20 lb shock

What type of line would provde good, all-around performance? Mone, Trilene, Dacron? Also is the color important?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Buy Wisely

Try this Mark

How To Buy Fresh/Salt Water Fishing Line
http://www.getintheoutdoors.com/fishingart/buy_fishing_line.html

Color

Sometimes you need to see your line; other times you don't want the fish to see the line. Consequently, you can buy line that accomplishes one of these objectives.

Clear/blue fluorescent
Sunlight illuminates the line above the surface so it's easier to see when casting, retrieving or trolling
Under the surface, the line stays clear so it's nearly invisible to a fish
Low-visibility
This blends into most underwater environments so it's good in situations where the fishing is tougher either because they don't seem to want to bite or heavy fishing has made the fish a little smarter
Low-visibility clear
In clear streams or even in some lakes, the water runs clear. This color works well in ultra-clear water or when you know the fishing hole you have selected tends to have fish that seem unwilling to bite.
High-visibility gold
This bright color makes it easier to see when a fish strikes or to watch your line position when you troll several lines or go fishing in a current
You may also prefer this color for low-light conditions such as dawn, dusk and night
Coffee
If you are going fishing in muddy, stained waters, this color blends in with the water conditions
Moss green
This color works well in waters with heavy vegetation or algae

Ever tried this one?????? May be not so much for the surf but in the the Rivers ?????

"I buy 150 yard spools of braided line (PowerPro, Supercast, Fireline, Tuff Plus, etc.). I then take all the line off the spool and cut it into two 75-yard sections (you never need more than 75 yards of line anyway). I put some monofilament on the spool as backing and filler so I can get the spool full. I tie the braid to the mono with a blood knot and reel in the 75 yards of braid. Note: You may need to adjust the amount of mono backing according to spool size. I fish with the line until I start to see some frays and a white line color appear. When that happens I tie the line on something solid and walk off letting the line unspool until I reach the mono. I cut the mono at the knot and drop the line on the ground. I walk down to the worn end of the line and re-tie, then re-spool and go fishing. The new working end of the line is like new and since braid has no memory there is no problem whatsoever with twists or kinks. I can save lots of money as I get four uses (the two 75 yard sections with reversals) from one spool of braid. Since braid lasts a long time compared to mono, I can easily get a season or two from one spool of braid. Extra tip: There should also be a bit of mono used when putting any braid or superline on a reel to prevent slippage on the spool. The mono will tighten down and not slip.

Hope it helps Mark

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Koz!

Once again, you have proven to be a veritable font of fishing knowledge!

:D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Outstanding! I have allways bought cheap/med priced lines. Cost too much to respool 5 reels with premeim line. Now I can have good stuff on all of them. Great idea Kozlow. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a few friends that are commercial fishermen, mostly stone crabbers, but they, as most, were at one time or another fishermen, either rod and reelers or longliners. They all tell me that pink Ande, is the best for salt water, it is the #lb test it says it is. It is the most widley accepted as for IGFA records. I find it a little pricey, but Iusually buy it in big spools either off ebay or commercial fishing suppliers. I used to be a trilene guy, only it was good enough. Things change!!!I almost always use a flourocabon leader as well. Seaguar is good, but sometimes it kinks in the heavier guages. I have been using berkley's vanish for a little while now. and have been very impressed with both the castability and the abrasion resistence. You can even spool your reel with it. I have caught so many more fish using a flourocarbon leader than ever with out one. But that is just me. I have used a lot of different braided lines. and have steeled on the powerpro, int the hi vis yellow. it ties smmoth and casts better than the others. But i still use it with a mono leader, usually flourocarbon. There is a lot of different lines out there. If your like me you will try a lot until you settle on a few, but don't forget to give some of those new ones a try as well, you never know they may be better than you expect.:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts