Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have traditionally used a single or double drop rig w/a pyramid sinker on the end for bottom fishing. (Not sure exactly what this rig is called)

I've noticed people at the pier using a rig with a single hook at the bottom, and a sliding egg sinker up higher.

Do these rigs do different jobs, or present the bait differently, or is it just a matter of personal choice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
MarkDido,

I normally use the hi lo rig(the two hook rig you mentioned) for smaller fish; whiting, blues, spots, croaker, or what ever is biting. The "carolina rig" with the egg sinker I use mainly to target larger fish; black/red drum, flounder, mackeral, and sharks. It's just my preferance. The carolina rig has greater sensitivity because when the fish takes your bait the line slides thought the sinker right to your rod. When a fish takes the bait on a hi lo rig it pulls both rod and the sinker. I have at times taken a hi lo rig and put a egg sinker at the top(so it slides freely) and put a third hook where the pyramid sinker was. This gives you more sinsitivity but all of your bait will be directly on the bottom. The purpose of the hi lo rig is to have one bait on the bottom and one bait just off the bottom. Also with the carolina rig it seems to work better for live bait,mullet/shrimp. The bait can swim around better and look more natual. But I guess it really boils down to personal choice. My suggestion would be to use both types when you fish and experiment to find out what you like best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts