Pier and Surf Forum banner

tying shocker to mainline..

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  itsme 
#1 ·
I'm tying 50# shocker to me 20# running line. I've tried the Albright and uni-uniknot but both don't seem to work real well, the uni-uniknot works but it's quite thick and gets caught in the cast sometimes and I've already lost a rig because of it...what else should I try?

#7 ·
itsme,

I'd tie what I call/was shown to me, some time ago, a 99% knot; wherein ya'd double the 20lb line and figure 8 it, then run the 50lb thru both holes of the figure 8 and then make a figure 8 wrap with the 50 around the 20 running line, then slick'em and draw down tight.

Looked briefly at Stren knot site and don't recall this knot being in Sosin-Kreh book either as it was just showed to me on pier one day some 10-15 yr ago ?! But works well for me ;)

Never tied a Uni from the look of it, but looks like it'd work just the same maybe even better. Albright is the way to go from what I understand and maybe one day I'll get `round to it :D

Don't forget to slick'em,

`bucket

#8 ·
It'sme,you can get a "nailknot tool",a double nail is more tapered than a uni to uni.. A friend of mine on the planks uses a uni on the 50 side and blood on the 20 side,seems very tapered,almost like a bullet.. ;)
Me,I use a uni in the 20 and a nail in the 50,has worked well for me over the yrs..
Anytime you are joining lines of different diameters,as you suggested,IMHO,use a double line knot such as bimini or spider hitch. This will actually make your knot stronger..The knots that Cdog suggested,spider to no-name works well,and don't "slam the door" as bad goin out the guides either....... :D

#9 ·
I've been using a blood knot to tie my 50 lb test leader material to my 20 lb test main line for years on my levelwind conventional reel that I use for surf fishing. I have not had any problems with this knot. If you take your time snugging down the line after wetting them with spit you shouldn't have a problem.

#12 ·
NOTE:Before I type this,I want all to understand,I'm not putting down the bloodknot or albright,it is all JMHO.. see :) Yeap,I used a bloodknot 27yr ago.. It was the first "line connecting" knot I learned.. I could and still can break it with my barehands.. I know that doesn't matter to most folks,but I get a little nervous with a knot that I can do that with,such as plain albright and bloodknot(improved or not)
On the planks I put a lot of preasure on my knots when leading a big drummie to the net when the waves are breaking off the end! I want a knot that I trust.. ;) :)

#15 ·
The bottom line is:

Use a knot you feel comfortable tying and can tie correctly.

Make sure that you wet the line with spit prior to snugging the knot down.

And NEVER EVER use a knot that is not tied perfectly. If the knot does not snug down right or the line does not line up perfectly, cut it off and retie.

Line is cheap.

And "The rod holds the reel, the reel holds the line, and the line holds the fish." Make sure that you are getting 100% out of whatever knot you use. ;)

#16 ·
It'sme,the easiest and strongest if you are just learning,IMHO,is a spider to no-name or bristol knot,both the same knot under different names..
I use a bimini to a nail uni in combo.. A double uni works good as well..
A good link would be:http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/ They have knots with illustations,I think the illistrations,some animated,are extremely helpful. ;)

#17 ·
Greetings All!

That's damn good advice Sandcrab posted -- one of the worst reasons for losing a big fish is a bad knot! I've seen lots of guys yell about fish "breaking" their line, but if you see that pigtail at the end of the mono, it means the knot failed. This is also the case when you catch a fish and it has a leadered hook in it with the swivel/snap swivel attached, but no main line hanging from the swivel.

One tip I picked up at an expo is the use of Reel Magic or some other silicon lubricant when pulling the knot tight. Saliva is fine for mono, but braid can actually build heat that weakens the connection. In addition, a lot of braids reccomend using a drop of glue to seal the knot.

If you're having serious problems with the knots hanging up, you might want to try tieing in some fly tying thread and building a tapered "sheath" over the knot. Finish with epoxy, and the knot will flow freely (and look pretty, too!)

#18 ·
I just tried "the shocker knot" from hatteras outfitters and it seems to do really well and it's very easy to tie. Also, i think i just realized what is causing some of my line breaks, i may be overtightening my knots causing the line to flatten out in some places.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.