Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out to the pier after work and got there about 630. Picked up a couple silver perch from someone I know on my way down to the end of the pier. Couldn't get into my spot since a couple tourists were bottom fishing for whiting in the spot and refused to let me in even after I explained that I just wanted to put out the heaver and it would be far out past their lines. So, a little irked, I moved down and got a spot near the other corner.

Put a sand perch on and chucked it out as far as I could, about a good 80 yards with the wind knocking it down. 10 minutes later, off goes the drag and it would not slow down. Finally turn it around, thinking it was a big shark, maybe 6-7', but no. Big, big red!!!8(---)

Measured it and it came to 43", took it and put it back in the water despite all the people who were extremely upset that I would put something that big back. One person even asked me how much I wanted for it. They just never learn.:mad:

Ended the day with a couple sharks and a conversation with a soldier just back from Iraq who showed me the bullet and shrapnel holes in his leg. Figured he deserved to have my corner. Was a really good day, who said Friday the 13th was unlucky?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Good job Big E
Glad you didn't take that first spot now aren't ya..

·
Registered
7 Posts
emanuel, I fish tybee on occasion though usually on the back river pier. I have mannaged to catch a bunch of whiting and small sharks and a few smallis reds. My question is, how do you land a fish that is too big to lift up the pier on the line? I have thought of beaching the fish but there are usually a LOT of people between me and the beach. I have seen some people use weighted treble hooks but I don't like the idea of putting a hole in a fish I am going to release. Does anyone make a net that can be used for this situation?

Loafy

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loafy,

When you hook something that big that you don't intend to keep, it's best to use a pier net or beach it. I work at a tackle shop on Thunderbolt Island and I can put together for you an incredible pier net for about 30 bucks.

Kozlow,

Sometimes the ignorance of others works to my advantage.:D There are some nice people out there, however that day, there were a lot of jerks. Someone even cut my line when a shark tangled it up. Seems they got a bit jealous since they couldn't catch sh!+. Should have called my buddy at the DNR, he prolly could have cleared that pier out in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
8(---)

good job emanuel. Is that 3 big reds now in like 1 1/2 years? thats nice.

5 days left till wetting a line( end of school)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, that is the third red over 40" that I have landed in the last 9 months. I did some research and found that a red that big is between 35 and 40 years old. So when people kill them, it does upset me a bit. Kinda sad for something that big and that old to be unceremoniously dumped in a cooler and snuck off the pier.:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts