Pier and Surf Forum banner

Tybee Island

Surf Report: 
8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  SmoothLures 
#1 ·
Wow, water temps soaring to almost 64, warm south winds, approaching storm from the southwest. I could not stand it anymore, had to get out to the beach for some bait soaking. Armed with only Fishbites I managed a few decent sized Whiting and turned one of those around and landed a large Cownosed Ray. The Ray fought well, tested my equipment and was released unharmed. Dang they are ugly. I was only able to fish for a couple of hours but is was good to shake off winter and get some fishing in. Spring fishing has begun.

The Whiting...................

[/URL]

The Cownose...............

[/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
Lucky you and good job. Fished Tybee 15 yrs. or so ago in the fall, saw my first big red fish caught off the pier, unfortunately I didn't catch it. Someone had posted a couple of years ago that the pier even at high tide does not have much water under it?? That was one of the nicer piers I had ever been on, although I prefer fishing on the beach, the surf was so rough so I went to the pier and just 2 other guys fishing that rough ocean.

#4 ·
poppop1, roger that about Tybee pier, they renourish the beach every seven to nine years. This season will mark only the second year since the last renourishment, so not much water to work with. That situation will change as erosion takes hold and the fishing will improve. Currently Tybee pier might be considered more like a casting platform than a fishing pier. But, in a year or two it will get good again. Its a man made problem.

abass105, Yep' and thanks.

#6 ·
3/15

Fished 4 to 7, took an hour twenty minutes using FB's to land a Whiting, turned it around and had a pick up and a drop. Brought back a flattened out Whiting head. Beached a horseshoe crab which entertained the tourists.

Highlight of the trip was the many co-ed spring breakers, ooooh I like me some mermaids!

Water temp is mid-sixties, incredible.

#7 ·
3/17

Fished 5-7, surf flat, sand gnats were hungry, best Whiting bite so far this year, mostly shorts with couple of nice ones! A few doubles. All on Fishbites.
Had a ok run on the big rod, I thought is was dropped, but the fish had done a 180 and come to me, I made a rookie mistake and had over tightened the drag, fish took off and snapped 40 lb braid at shock leader knot, possibly another cownose, but I think different, an early season toothy critter?

3/18

Fished 1-5, incoming tide, water was cleaner than I've seen in a while. Nice 3' surfable waves. Nothing on the big rod. Whiting were generally short and hit sporadically.

Water temp 65-66. Things are picking up.

#11 ·
The Tarpon show in late June in our area and their numbers increase during July and August. They come to feast on the large schools of Pogies (Menhaden) that our vast marshlands support. The Tarpon began to leave in September when the water temps drop. The peak times for Tarpon on the GA coast are August into September. Find the big schools of Pogies and you WILL find the Tarpon. The trick is first hooking one and then hold on brother cuz landing one is tuff. The beach fronts of the GA barrier islands are excellent areas for large Tarpon during the summer months.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the info Fatback, before I'm under the ground I hope to get down that way and try my luck. Georgia in the summer?, I thought I knew what "hot" was, I baled hay at 100 degrees her in Pa. many times, but that was nothing compared to my oldest sons graduation July 3rd, 1993 from Paris Island, THAT'S when I learned what ''hot'' was!, but it would be worth it to catch a fish like you posted, thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.