Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is nearly a month old and I apologize for that but quick summary of my Tybee trip in late September.

Both Friday (9/26) and Saturday (9/27), got to the pier around 5:30am or so and set in for a full day of fishing. The bite was pretty good from about 1 hour after low tide until about 1 hour before full tide but fishing was essentially dead other than that. Luckily, I am not overly proud so it didn't hurt my feelings too much that my girlfriend out-fished me about 5 to 1. For anyone that was there, she was the 6ft tall one in the right corner that was seemingly the only one catching fish at times!

Since my girlfriend kicked my butt so badly, I will just lump our catch together. There were quite a few small sharks around the pier. I think we ended up with 10 or 12 over the two days of fishing (ranging 2-3 feet). Nothing huge but fun nonetheless. We ended up doing pretty well with bluefish as well. Probably somewhere around 15 over the two days. All of which were legal and, most of which ended up in the cooler of a friend we met on the pier. Caught a few smaller whiting. No Reds were caught while I was there but I heard one had been caught a day or two before...but not too many. Caught quite a few rays (a couple of the big ones you could mistake for a pick-up truck pulling). Other than that, had a couple of fish pull a bit of drag off the reel but couldn't keep the hook in either one and then there was the mix of other small fish but those are the highlights.

I will be heading back down to Tybee to try a little fishing in the Surf (instead of the pier) this weekend (10/25 and 10/26) so maybe I will get lucky! Hopefully, this cold weather this weekend hasn't scared all of the Reds off!

-Dustan (BerryC516)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the report Dustan. Late report or not, there is things to learn from it.

What kind of rig and bait were you using?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used double drop fish finder rigs. The surf/wind was quite rough so we went to 3 oz (and even 4 oz at the worst point) pyramid sinkers to dig into the sand. Used Kahle hooks because I think they combine the best of both worlds (straight shank and circle hooks). Started off with frozen mullet and shrimp until the tide bottomed out and then I broke out the cast net and caught fresh mullet on the beach. The fresh mullet probably outproduced frozen mullet by at least 2:1 on this trip. Unfortunately, the mullet were running in at least 5-6 feet of water so I was cast netting in water that was about chest deep...an interesting proposition but ended up netting a few. Hopefully I can find the "bait hole" everyone keeps talking about before/during the next trip.

Since the last trip, I picked up the equipment to make my only leaders / drop rigs because I had one straighten out a swivel on one of my purchased rigs. Don't want that to happen again. Had a problem with that happening a lot a few years ago but hadn't had a problem for the past year or two since I began crimping the aluminum around the swivel connector...but this one gave out even after doing that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hello I was the one it the left corner fishing for Kings, Spanish and such.

Give me a call when you come down and I will give you all the help you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts