Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY got to go fishing again. Thought I was going to go crazy from the lack of line-wetting. Yes, I am still without a car, in case you were wondering.

Anyways. Fished for a couple hours in one of my spots. Wind was howling, tide wasn't right and it was a bit cold on top of it all.

Lures of choice today were a black screwtail on a 1/4oz chartreuse head and a 4" mullet splittail. Managed a few bites including one probably 24" red that sent the lure whistling past my ear. Did land one smaller red but that was about it for the day. Just felt nice to get my line in the water again.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just trying to keep my head above water, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yea Man, I've been there........early to mid twenties was when I had some of my best times but they were my toughest times money wise. Feel for ya.

Question.......Are there still Mullet and Shrimp in the creeks? What time of year do they normally leave?(I'm talking bout' the bait hole on horse-pin creek).

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mullet and shrimp are still in the creeks although I think if it gets colder than this and stays this way, they'll eventually head out. Last year I was still catching them into December.

Now if I could only find a car...

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the water temps go down about another 10 degrees, they'll move out or go into the deeper holes. I remember back in December, catching shrimp from the deep water. If you can find a spot where the bottom is 10 feet or more down, the water at the bottom is often warm enough that bait can hang out all winter. Of course, that's where the trout and bass will be too. Sometimes, the biggest trout are caught out of the deep holes in the dead of winter. Assuming of course, the winter doesn't get super cold, then alot of the fish die off.

·
Registered
285 Posts
hey emanuel, what's the water temps down there?

Still 77 up here :D hopin to get another king before it gets too cold.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
About 70 on the beach, but will be dropping fast if this weather continues. 75 at the buoys. It's been a very strange year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts