Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not the way to start off a week of fishing.

For the last two mornings I've gone into the refuge at Back Bay to try my luck with the drum. The surf has been full of limbs, boards, clumps of sea oats and other unsundry pieces of crap that kept tangling me up. Yesterday I didn't get a single bite, and today I just got beat up by little blues stealing my bait.

Maybe this NE wind will turn things around and clear some of the mud out of the surf. :rolleyes: Think I'll drop in on Lynnhaven tonight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been catching reds on an outgoing tide. I've seen nice pods pushing lots of water. The flies I've been using are are chartreuse/white jiggies with silverflash and big eyes. I flyfish...but you could probably use this fly with a popping cork on spin tackle. The rays are around, too. Seem to be right on the puppies heels.

This one was caught on the western shore of the bay, Sunday, while wading in 4 ft of water with a 6wt rod and an intermediate line. It was a big tide, but it pulled alot of bait on the outgoing.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I hear ya sandflea

Been out there a couple times, we almost need another (smaller) storm to come and push this stuff outta here.

The surf along Sandbridge and Dam Neck has changed also.

I used to have my honey holes out there along Dam Neck, but there gone now or just shifted.

The 2 times I have been out at Dam Neck..........just alot of sea grass and trash.

I hoping things clear up some before the Stripers come along........If not....then the surf is going to be frustrating.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
sand flea, that may be a good idea, low water @ 1948 with the outgoing current until 2059. I've been on the outside bar N/W corner of the bridge) the last 2 mornings before work and have watched breaking/feeding fish next to the bridge the whole time I was there both days. They were a little finicky as far as taking lures but myself and a friend did manage to catch our share of some nice schoolie rocks. Mummichog sounds like he was in the grass beds just to the right as you come out of crab creek which is also a good outgoing tide spot. Good luck if you go.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wednesday was much of the same...

Not much to report on Wednesday. Little blues and lots of junk in the surf in the refuge.

I haven't fished today but I'll probably head down to Broad Bay Passage to wet a line and tomorrow I'll hit Sandbridge for one last shot at the drum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts