Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
That is wild. :eek:

I still want to see the pics of the bluefin cast netted at LIP a few years back.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Well, she's definitely a tuna, but I'd say there had to be something wrong with that fish to just beach itself like that. That's extremely rare.

Basstardo, as far as the bluefin cast netted a few years back, i'd almost bet my bottom dollar it was a fat albert that was mistaken for a small bluefin. I hate to be a skeptic, but I've noticed a lot of people get confused when they catch a fat albert close to shore. In my fathers fishing days (late 70's and early 80's), they caught a lot of bluefin 20 miles out of Rudee Inlet, but that fishery isn't really there anymore. If it was a bluefin that was caught in a cast net around the LIP, it was definitely a "once in a lifetime" type thing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well, she's definitely a tuna, but I'd say there had to be something wrong with that fish to just beach itself like that. That's extremely rare.

Basstardo, as far as the bluefin cast netted a few years back, i'd almost bet my bottom dollar it was a fat albert that was mistaken for a small bluefin. I hate to be a skeptic, but I've noticed a lot of people get confused when they catch a fat albert close to shore. In my fathers fishing days (late 70's and early 80's), they caught a lot of bluefin 20 miles out of Rudee Inlet, but that fishery isn't really there anymore. If it was a bluefin that was caught in a cast net around the LIP, it was definitely a "once in a lifetime" type thing.
Ive seen the photos def a bluefin and not that small either.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
That's why the offshore tuna bite hasn't been the best this year, all the tuna are hanging around Sandbridge Pier!!!!!!! Forget King and Cobia fishing, I'll be casting spreader bars, islanders, and chugger heads on the LIP from now on!!! lol

Nah, I'm not doubting that one was netted out there. If it was though, it's definitely rare at best. I still say a healthy bluefin wouldn't make it up that far unless there was something wrong with it. I'd love to see the pics though.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
That famous image of a tuna at Sandbridge Pier (LIP) in Virginia Beach was not a false albacore. It was a bluefin, and it was huge. Lou, you out there?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
As I said, I'm not doubting it, but it's definitely a freak occurance. I bet the hair on his head stood straight up! Hopefully somebody can get those pictures up.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
From what I understand from people that were there the tuna was chasing bait and came in too close.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I don't know Dogg. I don't know a thing about the tuna off of Cape May New Jersey. I can tell you this; the Bluefin that was netted near the LIP was one lost fish!!! If a fish is chasing bait, she can't swim a straight line all the way in, not if she's chasing bait. At best this fish had a 35 mile run, and you may as well triple that if it was chasing bait. It's a long run from that stream in the state of Virginia. I believe the fish was netted, but it definitely had something wrong with it. I don't think she chased bait that far in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't know Dogg. I don't know a thing about the tuna off of Cape May New Jersey. I can tell you this; the Bluefin that was netted near the LIP was one lost fish!!! If a fish is chasing bait, she can't swim a straight line all the way in, not if she's chasing bait. At best this fish had a 35 mile run, and you may as well triple that if it was chasing bait. It's a long run from that stream in the state of Virginia. I believe the fish was netted, but it definitely had something wrong with it. I don't think she chased bait that far in.
Thing is BFT dont follow the gulf stream like many other peligics do. In fact in the cape lookout area, it is very common to find them in 15" of water. Three years ago one was even caught in a creek down there, photos are on the net. In the New England area alot of BFT's (be it usually smaller fish 100lbs or less) are targeted and caught withing 3 miles of the beach. Ive personally seen them busting big blues off Cape Point while I was standing on the beach. Its alot more common then ya may think. IMHO

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
"Thing is BFT dont follow the gulf stream like many other peligics do.", VERY TRUE, EVEN THE MOST IGNORANT MAN CAN TELL YOU THEY CAN MIGRATE ACROSS ENTIRE OCEANS. "In fact in the cape lookout area, it is very common to find them in 15" of water." CAPE LOOKOUT IS A FAR CRY FROM SANDBRIDGE, AND A BIG TUNA IN 15 INCHES OF WATER WOULD STILL BE RARE AT CAPE LOOKOUT. "In the New England area alot of BFT's (be it usually smaller fish 100lbs or less) are targeted and caught withing 3 miles of the beach." I DON'T DOUBT IT, BUT THE TUNA WE WERE ORIGINALLY TALKING ABOUT BEACHED ITSELF IN NEW JERSEY.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Look, I don't doubt the claims of "inshore BFT'S", but it's definitely rare... Can we at least agree on that? Don't tell me I should have been casting offshore lures from the beach my entire life....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I was speaking about the tune here. Dolphin (not mahi) do the same thing here also and they do get beached.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts