Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to surffishing and want to buy a new rod. I was thinking of getting a rod for mainly trout fishing with lures. What recommendations do you guys have? I was thinking of a 7' with Meduim action. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Main thing IMO is a rod that will actually throw 1/4 oz. Often rods that at the lightest are rated for 1/4 oz won't throw them. Pair it with a 2500-3000 sized reel and a 20 lb flourocarbon leader and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Shimano Spheros 3000 is a great reel. I have a 2500 Shimano Symetre loaded up with #10 PP and I love it. It's also great for redfish and flounder.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I'd recommed a 7' rod rated something like 3/8oz-3/4oz.

You could go lighter if you're planning to fish a smaller jig. I have a few trout rods, and my favorite factory rod is the Tsunami Airwave Inshore rated 1/8oz to 1/2oz. That rod can handle a 1/4oz jig as well as a 1/2oz Mirrolure pretty well. Light, cheap and has a fair amount of backbone. Built with Fuji alconite giudes, too.

My baby is my St. Croix LIS70MF, but it ain't cheap. Throws a Mirrolure to a 3/4oz jig with perfection.

For a reel, I recommend a Stradic 2500 or 3000 FI. For a little cheaper, the Saros F is a nice reel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If your gonna be in the surf, Id get something a little longer, say in the 8foot 9 foot range. Tica has this carbon matrix lookin rod that looks perfect , rated for light lures looks like it would be the ticket. Highly afordable , just cant remember the exact name of the series?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I hate to disagree with ya'll.

But I've found that 7' is perfect for trout in the surf.

I owned a 8'6" rod that I used for trout a few seasons.

I'll stick with a 7'er.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have several friends that use steelhead rods around 8' while surf fishing. They seem to work great and will cast both mirror lures and grubs. Many different companies make them at entry level price range to very expensive. For surf you need a rod that will handle 1/2oz. well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you think of All Star rods. I found a 7' Medium action Coastal Select Graphite rod at Dicks on sale but not sure if they are good rods or not. I used to believe they made nice stuff but not sure now that Shakespeare makes them.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
They're alright but if you're going to spend money on a rod, get the Shimano Teramar. $99 and you get a lifetime, over the counter warranty. I've broken two in the door and had one with a cracked eye, all of them were replaced with little hassle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.