Pier and Surf Forum banner

trout please

4K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  red_fish 
#1 ·
i have been trying to catch some specks in few different places when i can. i really have not done much to talk about. can anybody give me any ideas where to go before its to late. really wont to have one good catch. i know they are out there i just don't know where or what i should do. any ideas would be put to good use. :fishing::fishing:

#5 ·
Rudee, Lynnhaven and the Elizabeth River are full of them right now. Outgoing tide is better but not necessary, you just need a decent current anywhere there's bait and there should be Trout. Sunrise and sunset are preferred but again not necessary.

For the Lesner the DuckInn side fishes better on the incoming while the boat ramp side does better on the outgoing. Any lure that looks like a swimming Mullet or Menhaden will work and remember the ratio of casts to Trout is about 1000 to 1 so be patient. ;) :D

#6 ·
Ya need to get yourself a yak. I still fish Factory Point with mine but no more long walks. Ive been killing trout when Ive made it out around Hampton lately. All the spots are close to shore but not fishable from shore. Although if you can get a day without a Northeast gale GVNP should be an option for trout till early December. If I recall correctly 55 degrees (water temp.) is the magic number... When it starts to dip below that they become scarce. They are still reacting well on a snappy retrieve but as the water cools the presentation will drop to a slow crawl.

#12 ·
plannin on the walk this weekend.......a West wind usually produces....done the yak thing but prefer the brisk walk.

Last year about this time and temps...caught a mini slam...2 stripers, 2 specs and 1 pup...not even 30 yards off the beach. Start at the rocks and look for the deep sloughs while you head to the Point.

Was usin' a 'treuse Catch 2000 and a mix bag of Storms and soft plastics...But its always fun to catch em on the hard plastic.

Here's a tip....cut off the hooks off of the front trebles ( leave the remaining part of the treble on ) and crush down the barbs on the rear trebles of the Mirro lure....it helps with CNR and prevents the fish from hurting you or itself.

#7 ·
I fish Lynnhaven almost every day and the specks are definently not biting as well as previous years in Lynnhaven. I think the water still has to get colder. Biggest fish this year so far is only 21" for me. Havent gotten into any nice schools yet.

And isn't wading outside Lynnhaven illegal and very unsafe?

#8 ·
Wading outside Lynnhaven is a risk you take as an angler. If you are beach bound and wanting to catch fish, risk takers can be successful. I am not condoning breaking the law, but "outside Lynnhaven" describes a whole lot of area. I'll have my waders on and hopefully catching fish. Good luck fellow anglers!:fishing:

#16 ·
yeah but so is that wind...... darin i called ya back and called charlotte. never heard back! i might be down to carpool with ya sunday depending on work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.