Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna take some arctic fox jigs to a local shop in a couple weeks, what colors would you like to see for the trout bite? Stuff is too expensive to order a bunch need to slim it down to popular colors. These are what I have now.
Wood Fishing lure Bait Fish hook Laminate flooring

Wood Budgie Lovebird Insect Parakeet

Wood Laminate flooring Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
769 Posts
Nice looking jigs. Most "bucktails" I buy are white. Then the yellow / white. Guess these are "fox tails" and not "bucktails" ! best - glenn

·
Registered
888 Posts
I guess I should clarify. I haven't ever used bucktails for any fish. Lots of lures I have never used, bucktails is one of them. When I fish jigheads I have them tipped with soft plastics. Don't believe bucktails are a popular lure her in eastern NC for specks as I have seen very few tied on rods at ramps. If they work for you then I say go for it. I would think the same colors that work in soft plastics would work in bucktails....greens, grays and yellows are my favorites.

·
Registered
769 Posts
speck - you came along after "mann's stingray grub" was introduced. Prior to soft baits, for trout it was 52M11 mirrolure or Bill Upperman's Bucktail. Caught many a trout and flounder on bucktails. Give them a shot. I am showing my age! best - glenn

·
Registered
888 Posts
Have caught a few trout on a stingray grub but that was 25 years or so ago. As to a 52M11 I have caught more then a few on that along with an 808, HP, 18, 21, CH, PD and NS. My biggest have been on a Manns Shadow Minnow of course those came in November of 1997 wade fishing the New River at Sneads Ferry Bridge. Lot have been taken by a Zoom Super Fluke in Baby Bass and many, many more on Bass Assassin/Saltwater Assassin Sea Shad in Calcascieu Brew among others. Had a sponsorship deal with those fine folks many years ago.

It was a very sad day in Oct of 2011 when Vera Shiver died. Ms Vera was a great woman who along with her husband Robin founded Bass Assassin.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
speck - you came along after "mann's stingray grub" was introduced. Prior to soft baits, for trout it was 52M11 mirrolure or Bill Upperman's Bucktail. Caught many a trout and flounder on bucktails. Give them a shot. I am showing my age! best - glenn
I have caught hundreds of Trout on Butterbean tandem jig rigs with the majority of the Trout hitting the 1/8 ounce trailer. The key pretty much on the OBX piers was to use white buck tail. This is pier fishing not fishing on the beach, but I used the same rig on the beach until the water got cold in December when we switched to Mirrolures.

Did I mention all white?

Two old guys that are now deceased fished Nags Head Pier 1960's thru mid 1980's (EM and Mr. P) caught thousands of large specs, mostly on tandem butterbean rigs with white buck tail.

That was back when catching 3-4 three pound Trout in a morning tide was not out of the ordinary.

EM was around 80 when he died, same as Mr. P and they fished hard way before I started, EM especially. The Family put EM's ashes off the end of NHP one July morning in 1992. EM was like a machine every morning just past the breakers in the Trout hole south side of NHP. Andy (Owner of NHP) remarked to me one time that none of us would ever get to see the fishing that EM experienced back in the early 1960's off of NHP.

Mr. P was my friend and he gave me small Bluefish all the time for my King baits, I cannot even recollect EM even breaking into a smile when I happened upon him. Never got a bait off him either. I did attend his funeral though that July morning in 1992, and after his children finished their ceremony and walked weeping back to land, I put my anchor out and slid a bait out. A 50 pound plus King came right up on my bait about 20 minutes later, I would of liked to say I caught him, but the King just swirled and went back down. Thinking through this 33 years later, the King was likely EM still messing with me.

When the little tube jigs came along in the 1980's I sometimes switched the trailer to a green tube, but the lead jig was still white buck tail.

For some reason immature Grouper (6"-12") were easy to get off the pier pilings at the end of the OBX piers during the summer with the tube jig. Never saw any large Grouper off a pier only the baby ones.

Also caught a few thousand Bluefish on the same rig, along with a fair share of Spanish, but I would admit a gold jerk jigger with a red head is a better Spanish lure.

While I am hijacking this thread, has anyone caught a hook and line Lionfish in NC?

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Wow! This really got off your question. Smoothlures have you ever thought of using glow in the dark paint on your bucktail jigs. I fished for beach trout and flounder for years. My best lure was a Night glow DOA Shrimp. I glows under water. Maybe it would work on your jigs. I am not talking long ago. I am talking up to last year on the beach catching trout. Fish Recreation Vacation
Fish Fish Herring Sardine Coregonus lavaretus
Fishing lure Fishing bait Bait
Fishing rod Surf fishing Fish Fishing Shore
Grilling Barbecue Barbecue grill Food Cuisine
Also caught flounder on the DOA Night Glow Shrimp. I think it would work good if you made glow bucktails. IMHO. Your jigs look good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts