Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son in law fishes for salmon upstate NY and it got me thinkin.
trout fisher folk use a cheese cloth bag with eggs in it for bait.
Why not a cheese cloth bag with shrimp in it hung off a circle hook for Drum ?
for anything that eats shrimp you can size the bag and hang it off whatever size hook your using..
Bait stealers wont get it and a drum or other fish can swallow it. size the bag to what your fishing for.
it will stay on when casting also. I would think it would be better than fish bites.
make any sense ?
and yeh. I'm bored.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
my son in law fishes for salmon upstate NY and it got me thinkin.
trout fisher folk use a cheese cloth bag with eggs in it for bait.
Why not a cheese cloth bag with shrimp in it hung off a circle hook for Drum ?
for anything that eats shrimp you can size the bag and hang it off whatever size hook your using..
Bait stealers wont get it and a drum or other fish can swallow it. size the bag to what your fishing for.
it will stay on when casting also. I would think it would be better than fish bites.
make any sense ?
and yeh. I'm bored.
It would work, may not fly as well as the standard baits but it would work. what fish or man can resist a Shrimp dinner.

But in my opinion it would not not as well as a fresh cobb head or a hard body section of fresh jumping mullet or if at the Point and holding your rod a section of hard ocean caught fatback.

Shrimp just do not bleed as good as the standard baits, although I have to admit having caught a lot of puppy drum on shrimp.

However please rig one up on a River rig preferably and post the pictures when you get into the Big Drum.

If you are bored I would suggest a Braid versus Mono versus Fluorocarbon slant to the thread or Comm versus Rec and you will get more involvement and response... or add in Foreign National poachers to the equation...and you can really get this one going....

·
Registered
888 Posts
It would work, may not fly as well as the standard baits but it would work. what fish or man can resist a Shrimp dinner.

But in my opinion it would not not as well as a fresh cobb head or a hard body section of fresh jumping mullet or if at the Point and holding your rod a section of hard ocean caught fatback.

Shrimp just do not bleed as good as the standard baits, although I have to admit having caught a lot of puppy drum on shrimp.

However please rig one up on a River rig preferably and post the pictures when you get into the Big Drum.

If you are bored I would suggest a Braid versus Mono versus Fluorocarbon slant to the thread or Comm versus Rec and you will get more involvement and response... or add in Foreign National poachers to the equation...and you can really get this one going....
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
braid> mono. Them southern boys just haven't caught up to the times yet.

As far as the poachers, sink their raft and put a 15/0 hook in their leg.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Maybe we could tie one of those plastic 6 pack can holders to our rig too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would work, If you are bored I would suggest a Braid versus Mono versus Fluorocarbon slant to the thread or Comm versus Rec and you will get more involvement and response... or add in Foreign National poachers to the equation...and you can really get this one going....
I was thinkin about trying it off a pier with a 6' custom stand up rod with roller guides.
a nice braid belt and back brace to join the battle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts