Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making a trip out to Western Maryland in the next month or so depending on the water flows. This is a serious trout fishing trip to very hazardous waters so proper gear would be required - rubber studded wading boots (no felt soles in MD), wading staff, and able to walk long distances to get to quality water. See my previous posts on one of the trips I have taken out there. I had the pleasure of fishing out there with HuskyMD in the past. He met me out there.

The water is gorgeous and the trout huge. Most of the waters will be catch-and-release but some are not. This is not "powerbait" fishing!

More details to come. Interested?

Sandcrab

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not a trout or fly fisherman, and I lived the last quarter century near the Susquehanna in PA, which for me meant smallmouth, walleye, and muskie.

But I've since moved to central VA, near the Blue Ridge mountains, and have access to the cold waters of the Rapidan, Robinson, and Rose rivers, which are stocked, and I believe that some tributaries of the Rapidan have native trout. So I've been putting together an entry level fly outfit and plan on working my way up to that kind of fishing, starting with some pond and warm river casting for panfish and bass, then taking it from there.

So yeah, I'm interested in hearing about your trip.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fished the Catskill areas back in the late 70's and early 80's when I lived in NY. I was born in NY and loved catching those reservoir trout.

I usually fish the North Branch of the Potomac. The Youghiogheny, the Cassellman, and the Savage Rivers when I go out there.

I usually stay in McHenry when I make my Spring trip. I stayed in Oakland during my trip out there last Summer.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not a fly fishing only trip. I fish some rivers with my custom Phenix 5'6" UL rod loaded with 2# mono. On one of the larger rivers, I fish it using my custom Lamiglas SI 9'6" steelhead rod and 6# mono. Lots of ways to fish out there besides fly fishing...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Unfortunately the creeks in the Catskills seriously declined after some serious flooding in the 90s. The mayfly populations never recovered but there were always stocked Browns as well as wild native rainbows from the reservoirs.
Now the state has stopped the stocking program and are relying on a self sustaining fishery... we will see.
My first love is to fly fish but realize that you have to adapt

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Western MD is a fly fishing heaven. Lots of good places to fly fish. If you are really good, try your luck fishing the Savage River below the dam. People come from all over to try to catch the smart trout there. Google it...

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had days fishing on the North Branch that were outstanding. My best day was 5 fish all over 20" including one 25" rainbow that I caught fishing between 2 of my fishing buddies. All caught on 1/2 oz spoons. All released of course...

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still checking the flows. This is something you must do to save yourself a L-O-N-G drive out to Garrett Coubty only to find out the rivers and streams are too low to fish.

Once the flows come up, I'll let everyone know when I'll be heading out. This might be awhile...

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flows out in Western Maryland are very low. Fish could be caught but light line (think 2# mono) and ultralight lures (1/16, 1/12 oz) would take fish in anybody the deeper pools. The problem is that you have to do an awfully amount of walking to find those deeper pools that might hold trout.

Only fishing below the dam at Barnum or would be beneficial during these dry spells...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts