Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It has been a little slow because the water is so warm. I think there was a tournament in Murrells Inlet this weekend but I haven't looked into it. I'll make some calls tomorrow, I'm ready to do a charter myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm curious for any news as well, I'm heading down on January 5th, hoping to sneak some kayak fishing in behind Pawleys as well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a novice to saltwater, but love it. I expected it was all over by December. What is this winter trout bite? What water temps are we looking for; min/max? Surf, inland? I've got days at the end of the month with nothing to do, but would love to be fishing saltwater if it can be done this time of year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
By my understanding, the trout can be found in the creeks and marshes from December through February, if the temps don't get too low, like they did in 2018. I've fished the marshes in warmer weather, but have some free time, so I figured I'd give it a try. Last report was that the water hadn't cooled down enough for them to move into the marshes, but reading one article, it sounds like maybe the water has cooled enough?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I don't know much about Pawleys, but in Murrells they're starting to stack up on the jetties as of last weekend. Some are still being caught inshore as well. I recommend calling a couple of bait shops in the area. Most are honest as they want you to come back and buy shrimp from them for the next 10 years.

Last year we caught trout in Murrells all winter long due to the mild winter. It just depends on the bait situation and how cold it gets. When or if it gets too cold they'll push out of the shallow creeks to the deeper holes, creek mouths, jetties, surf, and even nearshore reefs. It's happening later than normal for a normal year but it has been anything but that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious for any news as well, I'm heading down on January 5th, hoping to sneak some kayak fishing in behind Pawleys as well!

I fish the north causeway bridge most of the time..Last month i caught a 28 inch spotted trout. bridge can be active at times

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a decent place to put a kayak in to fish Murrell's Inlet? I have no problems launching behind Pawleys and Litchfield, never tried Murrell's. Would it be worth it?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Is there a decent place to put a kayak in to fish Murrell's Inlet? I have no problems launching behind Pawleys and Litchfield, never tried Murrell's. Would it be worth it?
I have seen people launching kayaks at the public boat ramp. Everyone always seemed respectful. Same as a boat...be ready to go when you get there and don't tie up the ramp. I also hear of people launching at the oyster recycling area, but you also hear of break ins. Don't leave anything valuable in your truck. Murrells is great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I have no problems clearing a ramp quickly, I didn't know whether the boaters would have a problem with a kayak in their channel. I'll check out the oyster recycling area as well!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It's like anywhere else. There's always that one boat that'll blow by you. I know there are some good local kayak groups on Facebook if you're into that, but I don't know the names.

Trout update - mid-high 50s in the creeks. It's a finding them game. If you find them boats are limiting out, if you don't you might get one or two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I'm going to try it this weekend. I've got zman, gulp, doa and popping corks, which have worked before; never tried the slip cork.

Also, Perry's and Baisch still have live shrimp which I'll have. Plan to try the cork with live and artificial and another live shrimp with a Carolina rig. Maybe the Carolina rig will be better for winter, idk? I'll just be pleased to get a trout or drum.

I'm going to try the causeway bridge as mentioned, but like to keep moving if nothing is happening. I'll be stuck to public piers and docks. I've got a few scoped out from saltchef.com, but your tips are better.

Not planning on the ocean pier or surf, but not opposed.

What do you say: sounds like a plan, try this instead, or wait for spring? I can always pull some rainbows from these icy cold creeks here, but I've done that, and this is new.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I think I'm going to try it this weekend. I've got zman, gulp, doa and popping corks, which have worked before; never tried the slip cork.

Also, Perry's and Baisch still have live shrimp which I'll have. Plan to try the cork with live and artificial and another live shrimp with a Carolina rig. Maybe the Carolina rig will be better for winter, idk? I'll just be pleased to get a trout or drum.

I'm going to try the causeway bridge as mentioned, but like to keep moving if nothing is happening. I'll be stuck to public piers and docks. I've got a few scoped out from saltchef.com, but your tips are better.

What do you say: sounds like a plan, try this instead, or wait for spring? I can always pull some rainbows from these icy cold creeks here, but I've done that, and this is new.
Go see Jay Baisch, he has a map with some spots in Pawley's he'll show you. It's definitely worth fishing. Fish slowww or use live bait.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

please post if the fish are biting at the bridge...i live 75 miles inland and don't want to waste time or money if fishing is dead

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you thinking the water is still too warm, too cold, no bait, or what? I'll be down in a little over a week, trying to look forward to it.

Hopeful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you thinking the water is still too warm, too cold, no bait, or what? I'll be down in a little over a week, trying to look forward to it.

Hopeful.
I think they are there but I couldn't find them, and I was stuck onshore. Bear in mind, I'm really new to this and not from the area. However, when I saw fish caught, the guy was fishing oyster bar north of the causeway bridge uncovered at low tide. Everyone else was either on the bridge, or near and not catching a thing. I think he just new where to fish. I filed that away in the old hard-drive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts