Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking black topwaters but my "go-to" trout bait is a twin-tail grub under a popping cork

A) Is there a grub color I should go to at night?

Also, which top waters should I use

I have a jitter bug and some Mirr-o-Lure Top Dogs...

B) What else (in terms of top-water) should I pick up when I blow my paycheck on tackle this weekend?

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
If you can fish around a well-lit area like a dock that holds bait at night, I'd get some Yo-zuri Pin Minnows. A guy I work with uses them on light line to catch some nice trout that way. I've gone with him a couple times and watched him do it. Although I've only caught blues that way so far.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I thought you ended up as fish bait Atticus . Glad to here your back to keep us informed as to whats going on over your way.:D
I fish in the dark with the D.O.A 1/2 OZ in White throw it around the docks and piers and its worked quite well .

·
Registered
46 Posts
D.O.A. 1/2 oz. white... shrimp? If so, what type of retrieve do you use with it? I picked some up at the tackle shop last time out and have been meaning to give them a try after sunset.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Cast the shrimp out and let it slowly sink to the bottom.
After you move the shrimp slowly every foot or so , give the rod a very slight sharp twitch. You want to make the shrimp do a little swim motion. Just as a live shrimp would do. I have also started the retrevial process before touching bottom with the shrimp and givimg it the same swim motion every couple turns of the reel handle. One other thing I do to the D.O.A shrimp is take a bit of super glue gell and but a dab just under the head to keep the bugger on the hook . Keeps it from sliding down the hook when the fish only hit it at the tail of the shrimp and miss the hook . You can also replace the hooks they came with to different size and colored jig heads . Works for me wtf.over .

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tried using them the other day during/after sunset and got a few hits but no catches (including the mandatory fisherman's 'almost' that made the drag scream). Wonder if a stinger type of hook setup would help...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts