Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nine of us met on Ocracoke for a 6th annual guys’ surf fishing trip the week of October 18-25. We had a great trip; I’ll break the week’s activity down day-by-day.

Sunday evening was cold on the beach, low 50’s and windy. Felt like drum weather, found some good structure out ramp 72 about 2/3 of the way to south point but we didn’t catch more than a few bluefish. Stayed on the beach until about 11pm but the bite never happened for us.

Monday with the wind still blowing from the north, we headed to ramp 59. There was a bunch of grass up at Ocracoke’s north end that morning. Every cast seemed to bring back a couple pounds of salad. In spite of the grass we managed 3 pups before two of our group headed to the middle of the island to see if they could escape the grass. About an hour later we started getting texts from them saying they were on the puppy drum. Several of us headed their way and among the group by the time Monday was over we had landed over 30 puppy drum among us, ranging between 19 and 29 inches. That night we it S Point hoping for a big drum bite but just found blues, a couple more pups and that was it. Still a great day of fishing and a keeper puppy drum in the cooler for each of us.

Tuesday during the day 5 of us hit the same mid-island hole that had produced the previous day but there was zip, zero, nada going on there. The rest of our group kayaked and waded in the inlet behind the north end and found a few flounder but overall pretty slow fishing. Tuesday night a few of us hit South point again while the others stayed in to play poker. My buddy John caught a double - nice puppy drum and 2 pound blue, before he and his dad decided to call it a night around 9:00 pm. That left just me and another buddy Tom on the beach. Our efforts were rewarded when I caught a 47 inch drum and Tom landed a 4 foot shark later that night around 10:30. Either the first, or one of the first, big drum landed from the beach at Ocracoke this fall season.

Wednesday 4 of our group left to head home. The rest of us tried the airport ramp and caught a couple keeper puppy drum and a few bluefish but fishing was pretty slow. I did manage to catch a 25 inch puppy drum on a gold spoon in the slough right off the beach. On light tackle that fish was a blast to fight. That night we tried again for big drum, setting up on structure between ramp 70 and 72, but the tide was out and we were too tired to wait until near midnight for it to get high enough to flood the structure again, so we called it a night.

Thursday Tom and I kayaked from Ocracoke harbor down through Teaches Hole Channel to the back side of south point. We found several flounder including an 18 incher for Tom, and got into a school of speckled trout catching seven or eight, including a nice 17 incher that I landed. That was a really fun float. Thursday evening we tried south point again, but couldn’t find the drum and got run off early by swarming mosquitos as the wind was calm and the biting bugs were out in force.

Friday morning everyone still there left for home except Tom and me. We took a half day trip with Captain Ernie Doshier on his boat the Drum Runner and man did he put us on the fish! We anchored up in the inlet just inside the shoals about 2/3 of the way across to Portsmouth and boated 5 citation drum including 46 and 47 inchers, lost another citation sized drum boatside, and landed about a dozen puppy drum ranging 25-33 inches. I know “drum caught from a boat don’t count” but man that was a fun trip and it was a blast fighting those big fish. Hit SmacNally’s for a beer and burger and enjoyed some time on the harbor after returning from the charter. Tom and I tried south point one more time Friday evening and conditions seemed right but all we managed to do was fight several huge rays.

Saturday was a clean-up day + souvenir buying for my wife and kids. All in all, it was one of our most successful trips with the number and variety of fish caught, number of keeper puppy drum kept for the freezer, and one citation drum from the beach (not counting the 5 from the boat). Now time to start counting the days until next year . . .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple of other details: the pups were all caught either on cut mullet, or on cut bluefish we had caught ourselves. My big drum was caught on a big chunk of fresh bluefish.

There was a good amount of bait available in the surf and sound, and in silver lake itself. Early in the week Tradewinds was scarce on bait but my buddy Tom was able to net a bunch of corn cob sized mullet off our dock in Silver Lake. Tradewinds was having to bring bigger mullet in from Beaufort because the jumping mullet locally were still scattered and not schooling up well after the nor'easter of the previous week. That situation seemed to be getting better toward the end of last week. Also, there was/is a small pond or lagoon/cove carved out of south point, on the inlet side. A bunch of people were catching pups out of it several days we sere there. They said the pups they were catching were all under the slot, but it sounded like fun fishing.

Based on the comments on the "your metal slinger" thread on the main board a few weeks ago I purchased a 10' 1-4 oz Tommy Farmer ccp rod and Shimano Stradic reel for throwing metal before the trip. Caught several blues on that outfit with a gold spoon, and it was also the same outfit and lure I caught the 25" puppy drum with. That setup throws metal a country mile and was slick as butter.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing the info and glad you guys had a good trip. You guys will be counting down the days till you can go again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i appreciate the bait report...always a challenge with alan....my cast net gets alot of use
the pond at south point is kinda nuts...couple more storms and that is the start of a whole new point and the wash area behind there is gonna be gone
heading down wed for the next 2 weeks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're headed down to Ocracoke, be aware that there's a new NPS ranger in training down there who was writing a lot of tickets last week and not showing any inclination to give anyone a break. Make sure you've got all the appropriate permits/licenses before hitting the beach and if a fish is a borderline keeper (e.g. flounder maybe just barely 1/16" from being long enough, puppy drum either just 1/8" inside or 1/8" outside slot depending how you measure) then be warned he probably will ticket you if given the opportunity.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you're headed down to Ocracoke, be aware that there's a new NPS ranger in training down there who was writing a lot of tickets last week and not showing any inclination to give anyone a break. Make sure you've got all the appropriate permits/licenses before hitting the beach and if a fish is a borderline keeper (e.g. flounder maybe just barely 1/16" from being long enough, puppy drum either just 1/8" inside or 1/8" outside slot depending how you measure) then be warned he probably will ticket you if given the opportunity.
LOL, I saw the same dude! He didn't check me but in the day that I spent on Ocracoke I saw him 3 times and he had some guy (in a soccer mom van) pulled over just before the ferry. Saying hello with his ticket book :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts