Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple charter trips planned out of Rock Hall, MD for end of May (stripers!) I will most likely be heading down to VA Beach for a day or two. Any suggestions on the surf fishing (ie: where to go/what to expect to catch) at that time?

Hopefully my transfer will come through and I'll be there as a permanent resident by that time. :D

Just in case......

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Why would anyone who is into salt water fishing rather be around here than in good old Arizona?

Isn't there a song about leaving Arizona? There is no Arizona or something like that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stripesurf

May is Channel bass time in Virginia. Look at the post on Distance casting headed Cape Charles.

The Spring striper season in Virgnia is May 16 to June 15 and the southern base of the CBBT is a good spot to cast from the beach. There are others but this has been one of the most productive.

Boats

·
Registered
21 Posts
There should be some taylor blues showing up on the beach then, Also might find pan trout under the lights on piers and bridges. Chicks beach, DuckInn or Rudee inlet and sand bridge could kill some of your time. croaker should start tuning up around then in the bay too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys - thanks for all the info -

Could you please tell me what CBBT and HRBT stand for and where are they?

And...

Where is Chick's beach located - is that right there in front of Chick's bar/restaurant?

Where is DuckInn? :confused:

Thanks again!

:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chicks Beach is the stretch of beach located at the Base at the Chesepeake Bay Bridge Tunnel(CBBT) offers excellent opportunities any species from Gray Trout-to-Puppy Drum during the spring,summer,and fall, to Wading for Striper when they blitz bait onto the beach!! HOPE THIS HELPS

TIGHT LINES!! ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Duck Inn is a bar/restaurant at Lynnhaven inlet. They are fisherman friendly as long as you don't take the prime parking spots in their lot.

Rudee Inlet is on the Ocean Front right at Virginia Beach. It is where the Va Beach Fishing center and headboats leave from. The back of it is known as Owl's creek. It has become less Fisherman friendly in the past few years due to heavy boat traffic jet ski rentals and city politics but it still holds good populations of flounder, trout, and the ever present pigfish. I believe they posted under the bridge but it has been a while since I was down there.

Sandbridge is the southern most ocean front beach in VA. It is the home of the fishing pier and right next to the wildlife refuge. It is known for big drums, bluefish and there were lots of Mullet (roundhead) Spanish Mackeral and trout until they messed it up with pumping sand off the lumps to "restore" the beach. It has suffered a great deal but is still worth a little effort. In May it should be covered up in the early morning with Taylor blues "Breakfast Blues!!". Throw a 1/4-3/8oz white twister tail jig with a short soft wire leader or try a Krocodile spoon or Hopkins Shorty in the surf or off the pier. If they are there the birds will be on them and the baitfish will be jumping. I have cuaght a lot like this. Watch your fingers though!

Hope this helps and welcome to the VA saltwater fishing community.

Hope I haven't given away too many secrets... LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey BigIsland, et al....thanks for the excellent info. Hope to see the coastline soon.

I'll probably have some more questions in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts