Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned about the lesions you said you found on your rock. I've heard about them on the rock in the potomac, but not down there. I would guess you didn't eat it?

DG

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but is it only Stripers that are caught here in the bay? Have there been any reports from the OBX about Stripers with lesions?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Where are all the menhaden?

MC,

The report says" Another key factor frequently mentioned when the problem was first noticed several years ago was lack of menhaden in the diet of rockfish. High in protein, bunkers are valuable fuel for stripers, especially for a population that is at its highest in decades. The forage keeps rockfish immune systems robust. When the food isn’t plentiful, they turn to other food, such as crab, that is not so nutritious."

Maybe the light will come on and they will stop the slaugher of the striped bass favorite food - menhaden.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
DG-you can but I won't. This was a first for me,always heard about lesions and saw them on the fish on web sites but never caught anything with them until Tues.morning and never want to again(gross).:barf:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
These fish are usually infected with mycobacterium. Do a search on it--nasty, nasty stuff. It's actually a form of tuberculosis and is transmissible to humans.

Do NOT touch the fish with open sores, particularly if you have cuts on your hands. Take the hook out and toss them back.

I've seen them in Va. Beach, too, but they are usually worse in the mid and upper bay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts