Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Garbo,
Thnx for the reply, I tried that one as well as the older version with the shorter plate. Unfortunately, they dont fit properly around the size 26 reel seat. The screw holes on those add on seats only line up witht reel on a 22 or 24 size. The rod is a Vega Intimidator that when Luis built it, he put a size 26 thread adjustable reel seat on the rod. I cut that seat off to find he built up the area for the reel seat using fiberglass mat. I am trying to avoid having to sand off all of that fiberglass to accommodate a 22 or 24 reel seat. I dont have a rod lathe and trying to sand it down with the chuck in a drill doesnt cut it. I do thank you for the response.

· Registered
2,911 Posts
One option is to ask Luis to remove the mat.

Luis had 200 or so Intimidator Blanks that Vega shipped him a few years back, not sure how many he has left probably a bunch of them because the Blue Rod is more popular.

May be easier to buy a new butt from Louis. If you talk to Luis about this ask him what he would want for the Tip if he sold off the butt section

Luis said Vega had acquired the original All Star Mandrels for the 1509

All Star 1509 takes a 24mm reel seat and if the story is true about the Mandrel then the Intimidator is the same.

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried to reach him; unsucessful so far but havent given up. I did inquire about price just for a new butt section last year, but never heard back. I am too far in to it now since I have the old seat off and will somehow get this sanded down to take take a 24. BTW, I have the old plastic trigger too, I just really want the trigger permanently mounted on the reel seat.

I will ask about the butt and tip if I can ever get a hold of him.

Again, thnx

· Registered
2,911 Posts
If you have a heat gun or an alcohol burner, the mat can be heated and then the bulk of the mat removed carefully with a single edge razor blade and the rest cleaned up with steel wool or sand paper.

I having been using Fiberglas resin for several years for gluing metal and graphite reel seats and cork grips.

I like the resin because it sets up even in colder temps and because I had it on hand when I ran out of epoxy.

Used the resin the other day putting new cork grips on a 1307 CTS butt and gluing the butt cap.

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Garbo, thnx for that. I did find a 26mm id trigger reel seat made by Abu Garcia. A rod builder on another site had one he got in the UK several years ago and never used. It is on the way. I may not have to take all of that fiberglass off after all. Again, I appreciate you input and follow up. PS I am not putting cork on the butt, I am just going to use xflock under a hypalon grip below the trigger reel seat and hypalon grip above the seat and save most of Luis' thread work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts