Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Just looking for opinions on hull designs for choppy bay or sound water.
Looking at this type, how well does it perform for fishing the sound or bay when it gets choppy ?
I'm told the skiffs will be a rough ride and will get you wet. Shallow draft v hull with CC is preferred but the price is right on this tri hull. I would modify the deck to be more suitable for fishing.
Thanks.
Boat Watercraft Vehicle Motor vehicle Naval architecture

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks Joe. I'm also considering a Key West Sportsman 1720 with a V hull hoping it is a shallow draft.
If you go to keywest boats it says draft is 10". You may want an electric motor and raise your outboard to go that shallow. its tough to get a shallow boat that will handle rough comfortably.
good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which again goes to show, you need more than one boat.
You sure are right there !
I have 5 now. Kayak, canoe, flat lake jon, 14' alu Sylvan deep v, 18' pontoon. Now I want only 1 more that will be a reasonable compromise between a fair weather bay boat, and for fishing the sounds with maybe speed enough to get out of trouble ... if necessary. I saw a guy in a small whaler boat near the Hatteras ferry dock, wind was 40 kt. He was cruisin along but looked to be getting beat up a bit. 16-20' CC's look nice and might suit my needs ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You want something like an old privateer or c-hawk what's considered a modified v hull.

You couldn't give me that old manta ray or whatever it is in the picture. Also keep in mind that fiberglass only has about a 50 year lifespan

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You want something like an old privateer or c-hawk what's considered a modified v hull.

You couldn't give me that old manta ray or whatever it is in the picture. Also keep in mind that fiberglass only has about a 50 year lifespan
Ok, great info, thanks !
How do feel about an aluminum boat in salt water ? Several nice deep v 16 - 18 footers listed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Aluminum is fine, it'll pit over time if you don't rinse it off and keep it painted. Deep v isn't likely going to be shallow draft. Any time you see a boat that's a "deal" you really need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Not saying they aren't out there, but it's easy to end up with an expensive project or something you have to pay $ to dispose of.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aluminum is fine, it'll pit over time if you don't rinse it off and keep it painted. Deep v isn't likely going to be shallow draft. Any time you see a boat that's a "deal" you really need to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Not saying they aren't out there, but it's easy to end up with an expensive project or something you have to pay $ to dispose of.
Wish I had someone with experience nearby to comb this one over with with/for me. Might go look at it. 80 Yamaha.
Thanks Benji,
:)
Gas Watercraft Machine Motor vehicle Service

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a 1990 16' smokercraft aluminum modified vee boat w/ 40 hp merc since it was new. use it mainly duck hunting in tidal marsh but also fishing and crabbing. it has been only used in salt/brackish water and has no pitting anywhere. have banged a couple rivets over the years to stop leaking a tad but other than that it is fine. with the vee i have polar crafts and other flat bottom boats follow me updown the delaware river/bay on way in/out from hunting to keep them from pounding. i wouldn't shy away from aluminum if it suits your needs imo.
I'm with benji in that the one you pictured in any chop will pound you to death.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Matey !
OK then the Trihull is out of the mix, and the Key west sold quick.
I'll keep looking. I do have a free Capri 16', 60 hp if I want it. It might do till I can find more what I'm wanting. Whaddaya think ?
Looks like a semi deep v and pretty stable. Would maybe make a decent sound, gentle bay boat ? Price is right.
Thanks again

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have a 1990 16' smokercraft aluminum modified vee boat w/ 40 hp merc since it was new. use it mainly duck hunting in tidal marsh but also fishing and crabbing. it has been only used in salt/brackish water and has no pitting anywhere. have banged a couple rivets over the years to stop leaking a tad but other than that it is fine.
Is this a painted hull ?
I have a 14' Sylvan that is not painted below the strake/chine.I have a 15 tiller for it, but it seems a bit light for the sound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts