Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm going to costa rica in Jan for my honeymoon. My wife has already agreed to let me take out a charter one or two days. But while she's laying in the sun on the beach I need something to do. The resort we're staying at has Kayaks free for the guests, as well as some nice looking rocky outcroppings to fish. So I looked around today for a travel rod that will work. I came across the Tsunami TSCC-703H, 7' 3 piece Heavy Action Casting rod. 15-25# line Lure wt 3/4-2oz. Each piece is 29 1/2" long and the case is 32 1/4" over all. So this will fit in my suitcase perfectly. I want to match a good, but not expensive reel with it (in case housekeeping or the airline workers decide they like my gear) I was considering the Abu 6601C4. Would this be a good match? Anyone have any good suggestions....remember, this is a 3rd World Country and it could easily walk off while I'm there, so I don't want a mint invested in it.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Jeff, I'd look to see if there are any of the red Abu 5000C or 6000C's for sale cheap on ebay ($35-$40ish). Of all the round Abu baitcasters, the 5000C and 6000C's were the cheapest because they had bushings in the spool rather than bearings. They do a fine job and if you were so inclined, could be upgraded to bearings and be made just as nice as a 6500 C3. If it gets "re-appropriated", then you'd only be out $40. :)

im not fond of the C4, id go C3.... 6500/6501... whichever you are.
You don't like having more bearings? The difference between a C4 and a C3 is the number of bearings in the reel. The thumb-bar release is a 6600/6601 and the push-button release is a 6500/6501.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.....Since I had a Dick's Gift Card I got for my birthday, I went ahead and ordered the 6600C4 from there. Hopefully I'll get it in a few days. If I decide I don't want to risk it being "re-appropriated" I'll look for other options then...but I figured why not just go ahead and get it.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Jeff, I'd look to see if there are any of the red Abu 5000C or 6000C's for sale cheap on ebay ($35-$40ish). Of all the round Abu baitcasters, the 5000C and 6000C's were the cheapest because they had bushings in the spool rather than bearings. They do a fine job and if you were so inclined, could be upgraded to bearings and be made just as nice as a 6500 C3. If it gets "re-appropriated", then you'd only be out $40. :)

You don't like having more bearings? The difference between a C4 and a C3 is the number of bearings in the reel. The thumb-bar release is a 6600/6601 and the push-button release is a 6500/6501.

errr!

the c3 has no levelwind bearings 2 spool, 1 iar =3
the c4 has 1 levelwind bearing 2. 1. 1 =4
the c5 has dual levelwind bearing 2. 1. 2 =5

this is why . when you want to upgrade the worm gear. we call abu for the C5 worm.

·
Registered
983 Posts
get yourself a small cable lock system and lock the reel and the rod case to your suitcase, (iv had to do this before) it still lets them remove it from the suitcase to check everything out but they cant remove it from your posession without your help, if they dont like it, they will ask for your assistance and you can open it up for em ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts