Pier and Surf Forum banner

Transfer of Striper!!!!

2K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Macman 
#1 · (Edited)
As crazy as it may sound you can't catch a striper and give it to any other person. It is illegal. ''The Man' was at Lesner last night explaining it to a bunch of people. For this non fish catching fisherperson it came as quite a shock. If it wasn't for the kindness of some that are more adept at catching stripers then I may never have had the pleasure of being able to taste one. Just bringing this up because by reading some of the posts, I've got a feeling there's a whole bunch of people out there that don't even know they're breaking the law......Let them eat cake! But not Striper!

#2 ·
Begs the question...

Does this only apply when only you catch and keep 2 per day?

If the person that caught (and kept) 2 and gave you one, this should be within the angler's limit. However, if the angler caught and kept another one, that angler will be over the limit for the day.
I'm sure there's some regulation in there that has to do with transferring the catch.

Anyway, it sounds like there were fish caught - got any details or a report from the Lesner?

#3 ·
I've heard of this law several times and am glad that it doesn't apply to MD, at least I haven't found it yet. I have been on headboats in MD where the mates will take the excess keepers of those who have already gotten their limit and give them to those who need to fill their limit. I have also given rockfish away to those who can't seem to catch any keepers. I recently started throwing keepers that I didn't plan on eating but if someone is having a slow day and they really want to take some dinner home, I won't hesitate to give them my fish, as long as it is legal.
-Anthony

#5 ·
There is the catch!
while on the water or while fishing from a pier or shore.
All you have to do is take it back to your car and when you leave give it to the person that you want to.

#6 ·
The other "catch" is when the man stops you at your car and checks your license and catch and you are over the limit because you are storing fish in your car for gifts. The man is out at Lesner and has no problem with ticketing law breakers. Doesn't seem worth it for a fish that you can catch another day.

#7 ·
Transfer of Striper

Hey Chest to Head...... Was at Lesner from 6;00P.M. to 11;00 P.M. very crowded, probably 30 to 40 people... saw about 10 to 12 stripers caught mostly 18 to 22 inches. one guy had 2 nice ones 34 inch and another close to that.. caught on bubble gum tails.... kinda slow......lots of tangles with all the other lines and witnessed 2 or 3 confrontations between us and them...takes all the fun out of it......we're supposed to be relaxing and enjoying it.

#8 · (Edited)
Oh well that is understandable when you go over limit. But I mean people are saying that it shouldn't be that way when you are just giving away a fish to someone that doesn't have any. There are loopholes in the regs, even though some need not be, but up here in Md as long as you have striper in your car by 12 midnite and are within your limit you are fine. Who is to say that a irresponsible fisherperson catch a keeper rock after midnite and run it to the car and as long as it ain't still breathing when the "man" checks he is "technically" legal. All I was trying to say is if you don't want grief from the "man" and want to give a friend a striper, just give it to him back at your car.

#9 · (Edited)
While we're on the subject of "law breaking" anglers

What's the deal with all those boats that insist on drifting up under and near the Lesner Bridge? I saw quite a few of them when I was there recently. I didn't have my night vision binoculars with me. Forgot them that night. However, I don't think they were waiting for the shorebound folks to pull their lines out of the water so they could safely come into dock.

Quite possibly some of those boats were police boats....out there observing from an unexpected position. Surely all of those boats were not just observing. Either way, looks like the channel was being blocked. And that's against the rules too. Did this occur on the night in question? And if so, was it an oversite on the law official's part......or did they get on the bull horn and correct the boaters too?

As for the striper quota thing. Surely there have been a few folks, and maybe even more than a few folks who have broken the rules. It's just one of those things. Not coming to the defense of anyone. Just stating what is fact.
BTW: I haven't caught more than a few in my lifetime, this year being my first year catching stripers, so I can honestly say that I don't plan to give away any keepers that I pull in. Well at least not until the newness wears off. Maybe the rules will be relaxed a bit by then.

#11 · (Edited)
Kajun

Now that seems like one time when the "exception" to the rule comes into play. Don't blame you there. If I were fishing with someone, someone I had started my fishing journey with, then I would do the same. If we shared gas, bait, refreshments, food, etc......then it seems to reason we would share in the fish quota.

Besides, who wants to look at a long face on the ride home. Buddy might get an attitude if you threw back some after getting your limit and yet he had none, zero, zilch, nada to his credit nor in his cooler. That would be one very lonnnnnnnnnnnnng ride home, for sure.:eek:

#12 ·
The Hook up

At what point are you transfering a striper? If you bait the hook, hook the fish and reel it in close to shore, could you transfer the rod to your buddy to land the fish? Just wondering.

If two fishermen share one cooler and together possess 3 rock. One goes to wizz and the warden checks the cooler.

If a tree falls in the woods...;)

#13 ·
thats why this "law" is never enforced..its too ridiculous....it would be impossible for a GW to enforce this unless he is standing next to you when you pull the fish out........every single boat out there goes for a "boat limit"...no thought of who caught it is even considered...same goes for shore fisherman...if i go fishing with 2 other ppl....and i catch 6 stripers, they catch none....but fished all night with me......you can gaurantee the ice chest will have 6 stripers in it lol

#14 ·
Several years ago two of us were fishing at the Indian River inlet in Delaware. I don't remember what we were catching at this point but we were checked by DNR or whatever the agency is in Delaware and I was told that I was over the creel limit. I told him that there were two of us and he said that didn't cut it. Each fisherman had to have his own cooler. It still amazes me. Does that mean everyone on a boat has to have a separate cooler? I didn't think to ask him at the time. Was too busy digesting the info he just gave me. He was pleasant and didn't give me a ticket. This was a number of years ago and maybe it has changed but keep it in mind if fishing in Delaware.

#15 ·
Thrifty,

The Lesner is not only busy but a good fishing spot. I fish it, surf and boat, This is what I understand to be the rules and the gripes

On the Federal Navagation law. There is only one channel and it's the one marked with Green lights on the top of the bridge and red either side on top of the fenders. You can't impede navagation in a channel. You can fish in one as long as you move to allow traffic. What you see is a lot of boats, Pilot boats included that use the opening just east of the marked channel outbound. You get some conflicts when someone is fishing it. The boats transiting outside of the marked channel are wrong, But it makes no sense for a small boat to make an issue of it, Just move over and let them go by.

The City made it illegal to fish in the turning basin. Under or outside the bridge is not in the turning basin. They also made it illegal to wade or Fly cast from the beach and fish at all on the crab creek part of the beach. To me none of this makes sense. Just like letting you fish only one side of the long creek bulkheads. Given enough time they will probably ban all fishing in that area. Virginia beach is hostile to fishing even though it's a major recreation to residents and income to merchants.

Good sense and common courtesy to other fishermen would mean boats should stay a surf cast distance away from the shore. Most of the experenced boat fishermen I see at the bridge follow that rule. But the striper season brings out some real inexperenced people that have not a clue.

And on the good sense and courtesy. My big gripe with surf fishing the West side is if you are throwing plugs or Jigs someone will put a bait rig out blocking you eveytime. The bait guys have a right to fish no doubt. But to walk in front of someone and plunk down your sinker ! For some reason I can't figure that never seems to happen on the Duck inn side.

Boats

#16 ·
Well we have been through this one before. You may want to do a search to find it.
It is deffentaly true you can not transfer while fishing(boats are allowed to fish for the Box). This is to limit you to 2 fish a day, no giving away your cull's.
budzo88 the tangles are why I feel the Lesner is better fished near the bridge with lures. I rarely use bait there, though I did Sunday morning, I made sure I was away from other lines.

#17 ·
OldBay

Funny you mention trees falling in the forest. I sorta mistaken a clump of shadows on the beach up near a dune for bushes/short trees. It was dark out there. As it turns out those shadows belonged to overnight campers.
So I'm wondering...... if "P" falls on the sand and you think no one is around to hear it, does it mean it didn't make a sound.:rolleyes:
Not sure about the P but the trees sure did make a sound.:mad:

#19 ·
Watch those multiple limits

Years ago I was trout fishing up north with my 5 year old son. This guy was observing us and had to see that i caught several as well as my son. The limit was 6 per person and we had 7. He was a warden and told me he could give me a ticket and that separate stringers had to be used. Watch those multiple catches in one cooler!!

#20 ·
Here is another snippet from the regulation.

"When fishing from a boat or vessel where the entire catch is held in a common hold or container, the possession limit shall be for the boat or vessel and shall be equal to the number of persons on board legally eligible to fish multiplied by the applicable personal possession limit. The captain or operator of the boat or vessel shall be responsible for any boat or vessel possession limit."

On a boat anyway the captain is responsible when they are all in one cooler. I guess that is why the head boats want you to use your own cooler. Want to bet that (a) the man will not write you a ticket if you and your buddy have all of your stuff in one pile with one cooler and 4 stripers in the cooler or (b) the judge will throw it out if you go to court.

On the transfering fish that is the law. The only fish that I know of that has that rule is stripers.

Tom

#23 ·
thats the thing... it could never be enforced and even if it did...would never stand a chance in court..call it poaching..call it what you will...i will call it a "legal limit for everyone that i'm fishing with that has a valid license."...imagine how stupid it would be for a father of 5 kids to bring 6 coolers to go fishing lol

#24 ·
Ahhhh, but what about the guy that walks back up the beach and gives it to a licensed (or not) passer by. Or the boater that passes the fish to the buddy's boat who happens to be heading in without his limit. I think that these are the types of cases for which the law is written.

Tom

#26 · (Edited)
That is the point Athony. Has an MPO ever questioned the fact that you share a cooler? I would bet that if they did and you brought your two or three buddies for a license check fest, that he would say thank you and walk away. However, I would bet that you would get a ticket if you counted your wife and she did not have a license.

Oh and the law does not say that it is legal or illegal to share a cooler on the beach. It just says who is responsible if you are on a boat and clarifies that a head boat captain is not responsible if everybody has their own cooler.

I have been on boats fishing for pan trout. I was being very careful to measure each one and make sure that every one I caught was legal before throwing it into the live well. On the way back in my eyes got really big when the "mate" culled out short fish before we got to the dock. Should I have gotten a ticket. No. The captain of the vessel would have gotten a ticket.

Tom

PS I also have a large cooler for all the fish that I catch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.