Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and so dose Hat80. Hey guys, I'm very bussy with this whole thing right now. I'll update you as I can. Please read below...Thanks

Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 6:25 PM

The problem is that some the people who use the pier at night have trashed our restrooms to the point that we have to close them. The only alternative would be to hire someone to police the situation and force the few irresponsible people to keep the place from being trashed. We are such a smal town that adding a personnell slot to do that is impracticle, especially at a time when moneys is so tight.

There are other problems associated with keeping the pier open at night, drinking, noise, etc. but, in my opinion, it is the rest room issue that is the most difficult to resolve.

We have no obligation to provide an overnight fishing facility to people. If the fisherman would govern themselves we would not have to take this step. The people of North Beach own the pier, we are responsible for its upkeep. If people want to use our pier they have to act like adults.
Assertions that we are parochial, Barney Fife-types, in pursuit of the might dollar are baseless. Calling us names does not impress me or help you to make your case.

If you want to have access to our pier at night then it is imcumbent upon you to understand the problem and make constructive suggestions.

Gary Pendleton
North Beach Town Council

Mr. Pendelton,

With all do respect, I'm sure I spend more time on the pier then anyone from your Town Council as do allot of other people. I will give it to you that last year the pier was out of control. That is not the case this year.

Between the staff at the office spending more time out on the pier both night and day and the fisherman policing themselves the pier is a much nicer place this year and we the fisherman intend to keep it that way. Wives and their children play on blankets on the pier while their husbands fish, it is now for the most part a family place.

The fact is the fisherman do not have access to the restrooms at night, how do they trash them? You want to know who trash's your restrooms? It's the teenagers and kids that hang out on the boardwalk. The staff has seen it and so have I. Cars race up the strip at all hours of the night, these are not fisherman they are the locals! The town is blaming the fisherman to satisfy their own means, in that the people that live on the waterfront want it for themselves. Yet they still want the income from it.

I was on the pier until 2:00am this morning. Where was the Town Council? As I packed my truck to leave 15 or 20 teens were hanging around on the boardwalk and parking areas. These kids are out there kicking the soda machine's, throwing trash around, being loud and using words that would make my grandmother roll over in her grave. I say again these are locals. Where are the police and there parents? Why are they out there being so destructive. Please don't blame us sir, we won't take it!

You want suggestions do as the state parks do. Set a time for no loitering and only active fishing, have the local police enforce it thats why they get a paycheck and you pay tax's. This works well in other places. If you don't have a fishing license and are not actively fishing your out of there. Hire someone to work the office all night. Make money for your town thats in trouble, don't let it slip away. Last night there were 25 people on the pier when I left. At $6 a head thats $150.00 you run the numbers. Even with paying a staff person your town lost money last night.

There are many options to your problems other than closing the pier to night fishing. I will do anything I can to help you but let's find another answer. Please call me and lets talk.

One thing you must keep in mind and you said it yourself "especially at a time when moneys is so tight" If the town of North Beach acts on this closing we will Boycott your town! The money you make on the pier comes from us. We spend money in your shops, buy gas, and eat in your restaurants the merchants and the town will suffer.

The newspapers and media will pick this story up and we the public will push it. On North Beach's own webpage it's call a public pier. Please don't try to change the wording now. It's on the internet for the whole world to see, as will be a Boycott the town of NB Md webpage if and when you shut the pier down.

Sincerely, Clyde Blake

Please call me maybe we can solve this problem together....Thank you

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Good Work

Well done Hat, keep it up. Take the video cam next time you are there at 2am to tape the quiet reserved well behaved fishermen on the pier and the rowdy loud unsupervised teens tearing the place up. You cant deny video evidence.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Great response

Hey Hat80,

Im with you all the way on this.I will fight this closing to the end. Ive been there on numerous nights when the kids from the town are out there trashing the boardwalk. My mom and dad are witnesses to that fact. If you need me to send Mr.Pendleton and email explaining what i saw on all the nights ive been there then i will do that. I wont let them close one of my favorite fishing spots on acount of some unruly teens who have a blatant disregard for their own town. Ive visited North Beach's web page and it indeed does say that its a public pier. Mr.Pendleton wants to imply thats is not. We have to push this thing and push it hard if we want to get some results. Im going to try and send a copy of your post to Angus Phillips at the Washington Post. Im sure many of you know hes the columnist who writes all of their outdoors columns. Maybe if he gets wind of this he might put his 2cents in. Well im just hoping. But any and everybody we can get on this greatly improves our chances of keeping the pier open...........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go for it MC,

send it to anyone you want, have them call me. I need all the help I can get right now I have the phone in one hand and the keyboard in the other, keep them comming in gang....thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ya know hat..I'll bet thier are a few of yall who would work a couple hours a week for say 1/2 priced admission the rest of the time,i f the council has a problem paying an attendent. Just a thought. Maybe if the regulars agreeded to help clean the pier and do some basic maintence.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
North Beach is willing to talk

about keeping the pier open. I have some help on this now and we are making some progress. We have made some headway on the problems and are trying to come up with a solution the will meet the needs of both sides.

I've been very busy with this NB boycott and will keep you guys up to date as the info comes in. We still need to keep the heat on the town! So keep those petitions coming in....Thanks, Hat80

1 - 6 of 6 Posts