Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have friends that are tournament casters. And I have friends that are fisherman.And I have friends that are both.I myself fish,But I do know that A good tournament rod is not a good fishing rod. Heavy blanks and small eyes are not for fishing. When it comes to casting on grass I listen to the tournament guys.They know what they are talking about. When it comes to catching fish I listen to guys like Bob at R.D T.. He knows what he is talking about. I don't think there are many guys around that catch more fish than the folks at R.D.T.......In my book they are good folks....Sorry ,I did not mean to post this as a new topic. I meant to post it as a reply......All you tournament guys please don't attack me...FF2

·
Registered
576 Posts
Modern day tournament rods are far from heavy. :cool:

Most UK Tournament rods make great fishing rods, it may be the high prices that put them out of reach of the average angler. :(

Perhaps you need to look further a field than the home grown US rods.

·
Registered
578 Posts
FF2 every tournament caster I know is a hard core fisherman too . We usually got into casting to improve our fishing , distance casting is just another tool that applied in the right circumstances will help put more fish on the beach.My immediate circle of fishing friends use our tournament rods for fishing .These are primo syncro's , primo hst , dymic hst , xtr's etc . My syncro is a good 6 and bait rod but will handle a true power cast with 8 and bait and I know of several 8 and bait tournamnets won with this rod . My hst is more of a 8-12oz rod and suited to very large fish ie 50lb+ drum , shark , cobia etc .
Are there good or better rods available for fishing only , sure but I have never felt at a disadvantage to using these rods and would buy the other rods if they gave me some clear advantage to catching more fish .
Not sure who's rods you are referring to as having tiny guides and being heavy but none of mine are heavy or loaded with small guides . In fact they are lighter than most of the best US fishing rods made.
I am sure Bob and the guys are very experienced, my gripe was he knocked products he doesn't know or understand .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
connman

I am sure you are a good fisherman. I try to learn from anyone who knows what they are talking about....I'm thinking of getting a Synchro full tournament myself....to spike though ... not to hold all day...We can all learn from each other..Im sure that if I knew you I would defend you to...I agree Bob dosen't know jack about tournament casting,,But that dog will hunt when it comes to fishing...FF2....

·
Registered
578 Posts
The primo full tournament is a beast of a rod much stiffer and a little heavier than my Hst . I had the oportunity to take either a primo syncro or a primo full tournament and choose the syncro . The full tournamnet takes a very powerful caster to load fully but if 8 -10 oz is your norm weight it will load a little easier , i usually don't fish with more than 6oz and use sputnik style (not at the point )and can hold in the worst of northeasters therefore I don't need the heavier weights. The biggest downside to these long stiff rods is the leverage advantage they give to fish , a shorter 10-11' is a little easier on the angler but not always capable of reaching some of the bars that hold the drum off the beach . My syncro is a decent drum rod and will bend to fight fish and cast as far as any fishing rod out there. others like the xtr and the older quattra's but I don't have enough experience with them to say they are better than my current choice .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rods

I agree with what you say about the advantage for the fish hooked on a long stiff rod.I had a 1509 built at 13.2. It hurt me more than it hurt the fish...I would use the synchro to reach fish that I could not otherwise reach.I appreciate your advice..I will look at the softer tip version..thanks David Hester FF2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bob Eades is a businessman first and a very good one.
He pushes what he can sell, get easily, and make a profit.
As far as a fisherman, you live in fishing heaven, can pick your days to fish, have your pick of the freshest bait, you're supposed to catch fish.
:)

·
Registered
712 Posts
well i fish with my 1508 with and without the tourney butt and i love it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A few months ago I posted comments Bob made to several of us so called distance casters about Zziplex rods not being fishing rods.[We were buying bait] We didn't take the time to argue with him. The three of us just walked out the door. Bad mouthing a product because you don't sell it is not verygood business. I use my Zziplex tournament rods for fishing while I leave several top of the line FISHING rods at home and if there is a better rod for the type of fishing I do than Zziplex I haven't seen it.
Bob S

·
Registered
593 Posts
since you brought it up

I walked in there last spring with a Conoflex Phantom 45 that needed a reelseat.. the rod has a parallel butt and I asked if they could put a reelseat on for me.. said i could leave it two days if they needed me to. They told me that I could not put a reelseat on it because there was a guide on the butt section.. I explained that the butt had no taper and you could put the seat on from the bottom.. I got unbelievable profanity yelled at me with others in the store and was berated... I've been in there a lot since then... They really know there stuff and know how to treat... you like a king.... You know their motto...

Our customers love us because we love us....

Sorry.. had to get it off my chest.

oh yeah.. the rod has a reelseat now...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Tourny rods

I am not familar with the rods mentioned other than the normal casting rods. I have the nomad three piece and fish with it all the time. It is light and is very sensitive. The sweet spot is around five ounces. but it will handle six....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Poser Luppi...

How about being a bit more specific. :) What does the Grrrrrrrr stand for? Let's go fishing!!!:) pelican man.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I see lots of Zziplex's, Tica's, Breakaway's and Pimo's used for king fishing anchor rods. They look like great fishing rods and can cast well too. I don't own one of the top-o-the-line casters anymore because I sold my last one, but my new 15' Silstar suits me just fine:D .

Evan

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
HI GUys

Sorry guys.I've been at work all day and couldn't respond...what we call red drum here in the U.S. they call carp in the U.K.....I don't think that there is anything left over there big enough to choke down anything bigger than a grasshopper or dough ball....last I heard some tourist caught the lock ness monster on a pin rig or something......and King fisherman I think that it is against the law to use tica and Zziplex in the same sentence.So be careful....and since I'm on a roll Hey Thumbburner are you sure you weren't standing on Croakers tail when they kicked you out???Just kidding guys...REALLY. All I'm saying is that at the point It is not the place for tournament rods,low reels and pendulam cast. When In Rome do as the Romans Do.I know you guys love your Tournament rods..And I'm not trying to make anybody mad...later FF2...I love my Zziplex too great rods. Im just jokeing around guys....doing my part to keep everyone entertained while it's too cold to fish.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Back to you Larry

I am not going to loose controll; you all can just EMAGINE what I have to say about this whole thing. I am just being a good boy and not saying it. I would rather argue wheather or not god has a big white beard.

·
Registered
576 Posts
"When in Rome, do as Romans do !"

Are you suggesting that we splice a 100m length of 0.28mm line some 50m back fromthe leader when casting the 175gm !!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Was wondering if someone can help me with this one. Being failry new to all of this stuff. Could someone please tell me the differance between Fishing Rods and Tournament Rods. Not quite sure i get the concept. I mean they both can and do cast right? But do only fishing rods catch fish ? and if so why dont tournanment rods?? enquiring minds are wondering . If tournament rods cant catch fish I am in big trouble, cause i have no way of putting back the fish they have taken. LOL Cheers Guys

1 - 20 of 44 Posts