Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, finally got my account straightened out, really like this forum. As the title states i'm a total newbie to surf fishing but am interested to learn. I'm new to South Florida, been here about a year. Prior to that very rarely ever saw the ocean much less fish in it. I've fished all my life in freshwater. I got tired of catching 2 pound bass so really got into trophy catfish 20-50 lbs. (catch and release). Was very successful in that endeavor but now i'm near the beach and i want to target some nice fish from the ocean. I could really use advice on poles, reels (although i like mine), line, bait and location. So far I've been out once with my 7' pole and tried some squid but that day i think it was too windy. It was very difficult to keep the weight stationary. I was using 2oz flat weights (it was what i had). It rained and it was drenched with no fish, i looked pathetic i'm sure. I did make some neat pole holders from pvc though. Oh yea, any ingenious advice on how to lug all the gear around. I was against a cart at first but may have to reconsider that thought. Anyway, glad to be part of the forum and hope hear some good feedback. BTW i'm in the Delray area. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey texan, I am an Okie. I moved here a few years ago and spent alot of time trying to make my fresh water gear work. I finally bought a penn fierce 6000 and put it on a 8 foot custom rod a guy gave me. I have have been bottom fishing from the juno beach pier. I tried the surf and it is fun but I have had more luck off the pier and you see alot more ppl catching fish. The biggest adjustment I have had to make is making myself use bigger weights. I have been using 3 to 6 oz weights and it makes things alot easier. If you are going to surf fish I would recommend at least a 9 foot pole.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey texan, I am an Okie. I moved here a few years ago and spent alot of time trying to make my fresh water gear work. I finally bought a penn fierce 6000 and put it on a 8 foot custom rod a guy gave me. I have have been bottom fishing from the juno beach pier. I tried the surf and it is fun but I have had more luck off the pier and you see alot more ppl catching fish. The biggest adjustment I have had to make is making myself use bigger weights. I have been using 3 to 6 oz weights and it makes things alot easier. If you are going to surf fish I would recommend at least a 9 foot pole.
Hi Okie, thanks for the reply, i ordered a 13.5 ft Tsunami, it got broke during shipping, but kind of a good thing it did, when i received it i saw how large the butt was and how heavy it was. I sent it back opting for a slimmer 12' Pen prevail. It should arrive later this week. I'm going to try using my reels... i use liveliner reels which have a secondary drag. I know these aren't mainstream but i want to try them on the surf rod anyway. I'm thinking about getting a bait casting reel as well, i will need some more research on that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not from florida, and I am new to surf fishing (relatively) as well, but if you do not want to get a cart, some backpacks can be great you can cut the bottle holders to hold your rod seat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh yea, any ingenious advice on how to lug all the gear around. I was against a cart at first but may have to reconsider that thought. .
I don't have a cart, either. I've been lugging around 2 5-gallon buckets - one for essential gear and one for ice, bait, catch & pvc pole holders. I have a 'tackle topper' for my gear bucket. Carrying a bucket and rod/reel in each hand has been pretty manageable.

-KBueno

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the 'tackle topper' looks cool.

I wanted to share something funny: I looked up what a tackle topper was on Google. an Amazon advertisment came up so i looked at it. it said $9.99. My first thought was that is probably ok... then i looked at the full price. I pasted it below:
List Price: $13.35
Price: $9.99 + $38.87 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Colombia Details
You Save: $3.36 (25%)

total of about $49... good for a chuckle i think :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just an update, went out Sunday morning, the weather was beautiful, managed to catch one blue fish (i think). learned not to take my wife fishing with me, she doesn't like me to kill anything... even spiders. looking forward to next time. gosh lugging that stuff around is a pain. in the market for a cart now :(

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
just an update, went out Sunday morning, the weather was beautiful, managed to catch one blue fish (i think). learned not to take my wife fishing with me, she doesn't like me to kill anything... even spiders. looking forward to next time. gosh lugging that stuff around is a pain. in the market for a cart now :(
If you're not going to be carrying a ton of gear, one of these, modified with sections of 1.5" - 2" PVC pipe as Rod Holders and secured with large Zip Ties works well. You can also make a removable Plywood bottom for it, too !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopping-Cart-Jumbo-Folding-Swivel-Wheel-360-Degree-Maneuverability-Grocery-/271392848508

Here are a few pics of carts made from similar items.

Wheel Vehicle Bicycle accessory Product Spoke

Product Vehicle Automotive tire Machine Wheel

Water Cylinder

Motor vehicle Vehicle Asphalt Automotive wheel system Wheel

Vehicle Product Cart Wheel Car

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
One rod and reel, a little box of lures in one of my pockets, a little spool of leader and a little fiskers Sissors in the other pocket. A five gallon bucket to put fish in. That is all I need. Soil Sand
Pink Water Cylinder Drink Glass
Flatfish Flounder Fish

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dave...how do those little skinny wheels work on sand? Looks interesting for a light pier trip for me, but not sure I'd want to drag it on the beach.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts