Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the effectiveness of topwater lures right now?

I might lose less at Lesner fishing with them, but not particularly interested in the excercise if they won't produce till colder.

This question is not directly aimed at catching stripers, but any decent fish around here that will hit topwater baits.

Thanks for any info!

Bob

Anyone headed to Lesner tonight?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
When the fish are feeding on top that's the way to go!! I haven't run into any top feeding schools yet this season but the last couple of years I've been lucky enough to find the Stripers when they've had a pod of bait on top and thrown top lures into them. Nothing better than watching a fish come out of the water to nail a surface plug!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know about Lesner since I don't fish there, but in my experience topwater lures work quite well even when there's no sign of fish feeding on the surface. I use poppers during the day in shallow/snag infested waters or when there's a strong on shore wind. I managed to get two stripers Sunday afternoon from a calm beach with no bird activity or any other visual clues going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In general, top water plugs will catch juvenille strippers that are feeding off the top( There are exceptions if you get lucky). My last venture to the Lesner, I threw about 7 different top water plugs to no avail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts