Pier and Surf Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
How about posting some pictures of these Topsail fish from the old days

Back when you fellas were young and handsome:) I seen one of old Rodwatcher hiding behind a shack out on the Tee with a pile of twenty pounders laid out on the deck...

Also anyone ever catch a King using a Pompano for bait?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't forget the Sound Pier at the south end of Topsail on the sound side. Lots of good fish caught there. Nice thread. Brought back a lot of memories.

·
Registered
805 Posts
sorry Garbo, if I knew then what I know now.Back then all I worried about was the next fish to pull on.They were lots of fish and I didn't think about pic's except the ones going up on the pier catch boards.Don't know what happen to them. By the way still handsome just olded.:D
And Bullred ,yes lots of big trout caught under the lights on the sound pier.
And loner caught a few big trout under the old Sneads Ferry bridge with big John on a cardinal 6 also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
HTML:
My mom worked at the campground across from paradise while i was a teen. Saw paradise fall into the ocean. Sad day cause thats where the Dixon high crowd would hang out at the beach. At night though it was scotch bonnett arcade to check out the tourists' daughters and drink underage. I remember sharing beer with an underage girl (i was underage too) and she got busted by abc officer at the first walkover behind scotch bonnet. I just happened to step back into the arcade before she got busted. My chances with her went down the drain. She was in big trouble. She survived and loks quite attractive on facebook at least. Back to the piers.. McKees was the far north one.. You could see its lights from my childhood home. Fished the most there, at the 3rd light just past the trash can. Jolly roger is my favorite now...its funny but it has a smell in the pierhouse like no other place. Each year we visit south topsail for a week and i just go into that pierhouse just to smell the smell , i close my eyes and i am 8 again. I absolutely love the south end of topsail beach. Truly my paradise.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Trout fishing in the early winter is still most excellent in the old Dolphin Pier area. Have caught some of my largest surf trout from that area.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thanks 80, what was I was remembering is those trout at Ocean Isle. This memory thing is getting to me. It was definitely at Holden Beach. Not sure if I have caught much of anything around Topsail. :confused:

·
Registered
550 Posts
...other than spots and pier kings, if it was one fish Topsail Beach and Topsail Piers were famous for and consistent with it was Speckled Trout.....some folks fished for nothing else year round and if U were serious U could score year round too...not this dink trout crap that comes along now either....average 3-9 lbs.........
The North side of any pier in November was just couldn't miss......There really wasn't the pressure either that there is now days either....folks taught themselves to fish and didn't have the beach loaded with "inter-net wanna be's"....some of the BEST trout fishermen I have ever seen...nite spooks and special lures and custom rods....
And the great thing was, there was quality fishing to be found from New River to Topsail Inlet.....
I HAVE and DO STILL enjoy my Topsail Trout fishing.....and yes Dolphin Pier was my HOME for quite a while...the END FOR KINGS and the beach for Trout..................
Gonna get out that last brand new Cardinal 6 this fall and put it on the beach....just for the old times........

·
Registered
805 Posts
I never tried a pomp. tried spots but the blues liked to take off the tails.Biggest king I ever caught came off a dead pinfish skipping in the wind.Coundn't catch any bait that day, decided a dead bait was better than no bait.tried yellowtail jacks ,no luck, va. mullet,no luck. lady fish ,caught a forty plus cobia on it.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I never tried a pomp. tried spots but the blues liked to take off the tails.Biggest king I ever caught came off a dead pinfish skipping in the wind.Coundn't catch any bait that day, decided a dead bait was better than no bait.tried yellowtail jacks ,no luck, va. mullet,no luck. lady fish ,caught a forty plus cobia on it.
Back then we didn't have the serious "pain in the arse" bluefish attacks that we have nowadays.. Pinfish was my favorite bait....

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Back then we didn't have the serious "pain in the arse" bluefish attacks that we have nowadays..

If I ever get back to the planks I have a plan of taking a bit of real light wire 20# or so and a small 1/16 oz. flashy inline or mepps type spinner as a "trailer" for my King Bait as my bait motorboats around it will be dragging a little bluefish snack and I will be able to at least pick up a few straggler bluefish for the bait bucket......

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Back then we didn't have the serious "pain in the arse" bluefish attacks that we have nowadays..

If I ever get back to the planks I have a plan of taking a bit of real light wire 20# or so and a small 1/16 oz. flashy inline or mepps type spinner as a "trailer" for my King Bait as my bait motorboats around it will be dragging a little bluefish snack and I will be able to at least pick up a few straggler bluefish for the bait bucket......
Like that idea,Mike,will pass it on to Tater... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Barnacle Bill, Scotch Bonnet and Dolphin Pier. I fished the first 2, Dolphin Pier was already gone in the early 90's.

Scotch Bonnet was one of my favorite piers. The owner was in his 70's and ready to retire when hurricane took it out. Guess he figured that was the Lord's way of telling him time to retire and not spend his retirement on rebuilding again.

Topsail/Wilmington area is probably the most susceptible area for hurricanes on the East coast. Considering piers are not big money makers, and rebuilding is about $1200+ per foot, I guess you reach an age where it's not worth it anymore.
That would have been Lewis Williams im john I ran the restaurant and lounge there we refurbished the building but the Pier was shot after hurricane fran

41 - 60 of 61 Posts